New McGuinn CD

Those who flock to The Byrds
kvalois

New McGuinn CD

Post by kvalois »

Hi:

Does anyone know anything about the new "CCD" Roger is releasing? Are these just old, re-issued sea shanties or has he re-worked them? Is there any Rickenbacker on these songs?

Karl :D
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: New McGuinn CD

Post by jimk »

All I've heard I've read on this forum. And so far, everyone seems to be as much in the dark as you are, Karl.
JimK
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Karl,

Please let us know if you find out anything more about the new album!

Robert
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

kvalois wrote:Hi:
Does anyone know anything about the new "CCD" Roger is releasing? Are these just old, re-issued sea shanties or has he re-worked them? Is there any Rickenbacker on these songs?
Hi, the new CD, "CCD" is now available on Roger's website. My guess would be that he will use all 3 of his main guitars, favoring the HD-7. I didn't check, but preview song clips might be available. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Thanks for the heads up, Tom!
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

beatbyrd wrote:
kvalois wrote:Hi:
Hi, the new CD, "CCD" is now available on Roger's website. My guess would be that he will use all 3 of his main guitars, favoring the HD-7. I didn't check, but preview song clips might be available. Tom
A bit more info. There is no preview feature on Roger's website, but there is a track list of CCD. I went to the Folk Den and played the first 2 songs listed on the CCD track list. They are the same versions I heard at 2 recent McGuinn concerts, being played in a loop before Roger went on. This leads me to believe that some or most of CCD is taken from songs Roger has posted on the Folk Den over the years. I think that you were at the Infinity show on Saturday, Karl. The night before, Roger had played "Randy Dandy Oh", one of the sea shanties from CCD. He tried to get the audience to sing with him, but the part was too complicated for the old folks, so there wasn't a lot of cooperation from the crowd. Incidentally, both songs I listened to on the Folk Den were primarily banjo, with some light backing acoustic guitar and just traces of the Rick. I'm wondering why he chose to release a sea shanty CD, unless he just wanted to release a CD that HE would like.... -or- it was the easy way out. I've been to 4 of his shows and the response is universal; people come alive when he plays Byrds songs, especially when he reaches for the 370/12. That's what sells the tickets, and would probably sell more CDs.
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Thanks, Tom:

I tend to agree with you. I love Roger. But, he has jumped from incomplete project to cancelled project to.....!!!!! Last year, we were told he was going to release a Christmas CD with all Rickenbacker. That never happened. Then,after Jacques Levy, his friend, passed away, he was going to do a tribute CD to him. And, for years, he has told different people that he has a number of "rock" songs that will eventually come out. It never has.

I spoke with Camilla for 10 minutes in May at Infinity Hall in Norfolk, CT. To each of these, she just smiled and said that the plans were cancelled. I even asked about his autobiography-- which was supposed to come out in 1991!!!!! She laughed and told me that that project has been on hold for decades!!!

I do like some of the sea shanties and I do like some of his Folk Den material. But, you're right, when Roger reaches for the Rickenbacker and plays some of the old Byrds classics, the house comes down!!!!! There is a DVD, Camilla told me, on Roger's life that is close to completion. I hope that it is released soon.

Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Tom,

I believe you and I discussed this issue a little on a previous thread. I think the Folk Den is a wonderful project designed to expose all of us Byrds fans to the real thing (excuse my language here, but I took my first guitar lessons at a folk music shop). McGuinn's focus on traditional folk songs at his shows, and his release of "CCD," certainly reflect his desire to give the music a larger audience, and his adamant refusal to abandon his folk music roots (or his conscious return to those roots) may reflect his artistic integrity rather than any selfish motives.

I've attended two of his shows: one back in the late 1990's, where he played his 370/12 for the entire show, and one in 2007, where he played mostly his Martin 7-string acoustic and only did four electric 12-string songs. It's interesting to hear him reworking Byrds staples ("Eight Miles High" and "Bells of Rhymney" come immediately to mind) for acoustic guitar. Yes, a move back to what he calls the "jingle jangle" sound would sell more CD's, and would no doubt please more of his audience, but there's another issue at heart. Roger has made a conscious return to his beginnings in order to popularize what is still a very esoteric music style. When that biographical DVD comes out, I'm sure much of it will focus on his pre-Byrds days as a banjo-player and acoustic guitarist at the Chicago School of Folk Music. Without those roots, we wouldn't have the Byrds, or any of the music that followed.

Robert
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Folkie wrote:Tom,
McGuinn's focus on traditional folk songs at his shows, and his release of "CCD," certainly reflect his desire to give the music a larger audience, and his adamant refusal to abandon his folk music roots (or his conscious return to those roots) may reflect his artistic integrity rather than any selfish motives....

When that biographical DVD comes out, I'm sure much of it will focus on his pre-Byrds days as a banjo-player and acoustic guitarist at the Chicago School of Folk Music. Without those roots, we wouldn't have the Byrds, or any of the music that followed.

Robert
An astute observation here, Robert. And the same could be said for many, many rock artists of the '50s and '60s who got their start in folk music, even bluegrass. Chris Hillman, Clarence White, and Gene Clark come to mind of course; but also such diverse people as Buddy Holly and Jerry Garcia as well. How many people realize that Bill Monroe composer of "Blue Moon of Kentucky" is in the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame?
JimK
thymecube

Post by thymecube »

let Roger be Roger...

Obviously the man has done quite well for himself following his muse.... from a kid listening to Elvis on a transistor radio on his bike through the streets of Chicago to rock stardom and innovation to success as performing as a solo artist and internet entrepreneur.

Why second guess or backseat drive his career? McGuinn has walked a fine line between popular and artistic success quite well overall and is now comfortable enough to do what he is doing.... sit back... relax and enjoy ... he seems to be doing just that.

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”