And You And I "radio edit"

The genius of Chris Squire
walker
Advanced Member

And You And I "radio edit"

Post by walker »

At the risk of committing a sacrilegious act, specifically: shortening a Yes song, I made this edit of 'And You And I'. Not just for easy consumption by the younger A-D-D generation, but to try and sneak it into avenues in my life where it wouldn't otherwise be permitted.

I remember back in high school when we were sophomores, me and my girlfriend at the time mused about what theme song we'd choose for our homecoming King & Queen dance (or whatever that was. I never actually went to much of that stuff, being too cool and above it all and so forth >koff koff< yeah.) Anyway, we thought that 'And You And I' made for a cool love song, but we figured that the school would never allow for a 10-minute hippie break in the middle of their upstanding school function, so that was out.

But over the years, I kept thinking back to how I'd get a song like AYAI into more conventional circles - you know, the places where people have no patience or interest in music written with artistic expression in mind, rather than the disposable hits. (Did I spell that right? Same 4 letters - close enough.) The main theme of AYAI is so incredibly beautiful and melodic; I always thought it was a shame that the song as a whole was too long for most radio airplay. So I came up with this - a "dumbed-down" radio-friendly version of 'And You And I.'

Enjoy or otherwise.

And You And I (radio edit)
woodyng

Re: And You And I "radio edit"

Post by woodyng »

Enjoyed! And i think yes even released a 45 edit version of this,but i never bought one,so i don't know how it compares...
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

That would be interesting to hear! I wonder how they handled it - crammed all 10 minutes onto the 45? Strategic edits v just fading out at around the 4-5 minute mark?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

It's been a long time, but IIRC they chopped the middle out.

Nice effort Mark. I have to get used to it this way.... :lol: Sort of reminded me of the Love Beatles mixes.
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

Mark, thanks for that. Anything Yes done right I am going to like. Thanks again. Mark
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Thanks, guys. Fun to do, but after letting it sink in over night, that first repeat of the opening theme stuck between "watching us go by" and "And you and I climb over the sea to the valley" seemed a little unnatural, so I axed it and returned that section to the way it originally was. (I reloaded the new version to the same link) Sounds like it flows a little nicer now and doesn't seem so redundant when the opening theme is reintroduced.
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

Bro, however you did it, your stuff always comes out good. Mark
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Thanks, Mark. I used software called 'Audacity'. I ripped AYAI and used the AIFF disc format, so that there's no fidelity loss. You can duplicate tracks and separate them to do cross-fades & whatnot so that you're not solely stuck with hard edits.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

walker wrote:Thanks, guys. Fun to do, but after letting it sink in over night, that first repeat of the opening theme stuck between "watching us go by" and "And you and I climb over the sea to the valley" seemed a little unnatural, so I axed it and returned that section to the way it originally was. (I reloaded the new version to the same link) Sounds like it flows a little nicer now and doesn't seem so redundant when the opening theme is reintroduced.
Thank you. That seemed to me to be a bit out of place when I listened. Gotta download the re-edit.
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Load away, John! And feel free to use it at your homecoming dance!

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”