Classical Guitar Machine Heads

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

NFB-418

Classical Guitar Machine Heads

Post by NFB-418 »

I wasn't sure if this is the appropriate place for this, but I figured since Paul is the master of restoration it was as good a place as any to post my query.

I acquired a low-end Alvarez classical acoustic. When I was recently changing strings, I noticed that a few of the screws that secure the gears to the tuning pegs are really chewed up. It was like someone attempted to tighten them with the incorrect size screwdriver. I've attached a stock photo so you know which screws I'm referring to.

I attempted to get specs for this part from Alvarez but was unsuccessful. I also spoke with someone at a local hardware store and, while they didn't have an exact replacement, they informed me that the screws are M3s.

If I wanted to replace the six screws with the ones that are currently on the guitar (black, round head), does anyone know where I can acquire them? I've done some research and it seems like they're a really difficult part to find.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Attachments
machineheads.JPG
“'What was that note?' I told him it was a B natural, the third of G dominant 7 going back to C minor, and I can't talk while I'm playing so don't ask me any more questions." - Ron Carter to Miles Davis
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Classical Guitar Machine Heads

Post by jingle_jangle »

They're not round head, but "pan head" machine screws in black oxide over brass or stainless.

However, your hardware guy only gave you part of the information...you also need the pitch of the screw. M3 is the diameter (approx. 1/8") but there are no less than 6 different pitches, from very fine to very coarse. You'll need to find a metric pitch gauge to dial this in.Try the hardware store again, or a local foreign car mechanic or machine shop. Be sure to take the screw with you to check it. An auto parts store might stock this screw if you take it along.

Otherwise, here's the McMaster-Carr page that's relevant:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-machine-screws/=fhox8p

You're going to find, however, that you have to buy a box of 50 or 100, depending upon length and pitch.
NFB-418

Re: Classical Guitar Machine Heads

Post by NFB-418 »

Wow, Paul. That is extremely helpful information. Thank you so much!
“'What was that note?' I told him it was a B natural, the third of G dominant 7 going back to C minor, and I can't talk while I'm playing so don't ask me any more questions." - Ron Carter to Miles Davis

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”