1964 Rickenbacker 325 (SN DF 782)...purchase or not?

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

snowht

1964 Rickenbacker 325 (SN DF 782)...purchase or not?

Post by snowht »

Hey, all...new to the RRF. WOW...great site! Found and old post on this guitar that was being sold in NYC, but it was no longer in the Forum previous posts. Am considering purchasing the guitar, but am not sure about it. Does anyone remember this particular guitar and have any advise? From the photos, it's obvious it's been refinished, but it also has a strange pick guard/cover...there's a black small square switch on it! I've never seen it on any Ric, regardless of the vintage 325 claim. I think it was on Craigslist at one time. Could use a little help on this one.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: 1964 Rickenbacker 325 (SN DF 782)...purchase or not?

Post by cjj »

Welcome to the RRF!

I don't know much about that guitar, but there's an old thread about it in the Marketplace section, but you won't be able to see it until you have 30 posts. Here's the link anyway, for when you get a few more posts:
1964 jg 325 in NYC $5495 BIN.

Here's some info you should be able to access though.

Here's it's entry in The Register:
http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... lebrity%3D

Here's the ebay listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1964-Ri ... 4482wt_648

Hope that helps!
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Welcome, Steve.

Looks like it has been sold for some time, but if it has resurfaced I'd want to examine it person....As I'm sure you know, Jetglo can hide a multitude of sins---even so it looks like it still has a considerable amount of vintage parts on it....proceed with caution.
snowht

Post by snowht »

Guys...thanks for the information. I may go for it as a project guitar. Looks like it's the same one alright. I have a good friend who has been in the same Beatles tribute band as John for over 25 years. I think I'll surprise him with it when he finally retires, but who knows when that is! Now if I can figure out a way to make sure it's not some scam where the photos have been hijacked. Wish me luck.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

snowht wrote:Now if I can figure out a way to make sure it's not some scam where the photos have been hijacked. Wish me luck.
Ask them to send you a new picture with something that shows they took it with the actual guitar, such as having a sheet of paper with today's date written on it...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Ah yes, a "proof of life" photo is a graet idea.
collin

Post by collin »

Proceed with extreme caution.

That guitar was sold by Rivington guitars ages ago and the pictures and info has been used to create numerous fake craigslist ads on the east coast representing this guitar for sale. They reply with the typical scam emails etc.

I would avoid this like the plague....
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jdogric12 wrote:Ah yes, a "proof of life" photo is a graet idea.
I agree, try and get a picture with a time stamp. The current date and time written on a peice of paper, with a personal message. Also signed. I'd see it in person if I were you. If he says hes going somewhere but he can ship it to you...don't bite. I inquired about a cheep 4000 on Craigslist, and the guys said he would give me an account to pay and he linked me to an obscure shipping website. I was weary, and I was correct. The guys here comfirmed that yes...this is a common story. Be careful, and good luck!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

IvanMunoz wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:Ah yes, a "proof of life" photo is a graet idea.
I agree, try and get a picture with a time stamp. The current date and time written on a peice of paper, with a personal message. Also signed. I'd see it in person if I were you. If he says hes going somewhere but he can ship it to you...don't bite. I inquired about a cheep 4000 on Craigslist, and the guys said he would give me an account to pay and he linked me to an obscure shipping website. I was weary, and I was correct. The guys here comfirmed that yes...this is a common story. Be careful, and good luck!
Yeah, I'd think you would be tired after all of those birds...
:roll: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”