I've had enough of this Rickenbacker nonsense...

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

weemac
Veteran RRF member

I've had enough of this Rickenbacker nonsense...

Post by weemac »

And jumping ship to a real Man's bass..
A bass so massive, so testosterone filled that there is this nasty rumour getting around the net, that upon seeing one of these basses in the wilds Chuck Norris is said to have blinked. However there is no one to deny or confirm the rumour as all other members of that ill fated expedition have died grisly deaths....
Chuck has since been seen standing in for Derek Smalls in Spinal Tap with the same said bass..

The Hugest bass that ever was Huge.. (I'm sure Tony C will agree) I give you the Mighty T-40!

I started on one of these beasties that have a sound that is part Fender, part MusicMan, a touch of Rickenbacker a smattering of Wal and all Peavey!
And truth be known they play very well with a widish flatish neck heavy hardware and a whole ash tree to keep the balance whilst on the strap.
I kind of got scammed out of my first one years ago.. "Yer know mate, those things will never be worth anything", I was suckered... :x
Well the T-40 has a price that is still earthbound which makes them great value..

This one (like my first one) is one of the earliest models with its "toaster" pickups and monolith case, is actually slightly lighter than my first one (I think) seems to be setting up really nicely with some fresh Rotosound strings and has very little playing wear (I think it was dropped more than it was played). They can mimic other basses but the native sound is always T-40, the pickups and coil tapping systems were intuitive and unique. Peavey got right on their first bass and I believe they should revisit some of the "T" series ideas and styling again. (Hartley may beg to differ and thats fine too..)

No, I'm not jumping the good ship Rickenbacker, but I have just found my way back to "Port Peavey" for when I need shore leave and some nostalgia.. :mrgreen:

Eden
Attachments
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 004.jpg
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: I've had enough of this Rickenbacker nonsense...

Post by sloop_john_b »

Cooooool Eden! I have always wanted one. :D
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Do the tone controls still have the variable coil-cut at "10," and when you roll off to "9" you get full humbucker?
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

iiipopes wrote:Do the tone controls still have the variable coil-cut at "10," and when you roll off to "9" you get full humbucker?
About "7" is where the second coil kicks in... I once had this mod on a 4001 with HB-1s... It worked a treat!

Eden.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

sloop_john_b wrote:Cooooool Eden! I have always wanted one. :D
They really are an alternative to all of those other bolt on basses, with their own unique vibe and very good build quality too!

eden.
s4001

Post by s4001 »

Looks like you've got an anchor for USS Rickenbacker.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

It's been suggested by several people within our industry who should know that Peavey is the largest producer of electric guitars and basses in the USA. This was based on collection of dealer sales, employee counts, even employee parking lot counts, as part of some research project awhile back.

I think there's a good possibility that this is true, based on how much import content there currently is in some other well-known makers products.

More power to Hartley for supporting our workers and local economy! Yeah, I know, he's done some imports in the last few years too, but still you have to give him credit.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

johnhall wrote:It's been suggested by several people within our industry who should know that Peavey is the largest producer of electric guitars and basses in the USA. This was based on collection of dealer sales, employee counts, even employee parking lot counts, as part of some research project awhile back.

I think there's a good possibility that this is true, based on how much import content there currently is in some other well-known makers products.

More power to Hartley for supporting our workers and local economy! Yeah, I know, he's done some imports in the last few years too, but still you have to give him credit.
If I had the chance I'd love to be involved in a business that actually made something from start to end using all local (in my case make that Australian resident) employees. A factory that could survive without cheapening its own product and be able to look after its staff.
I find you John, Sterling Ball and Hartley Peavey quite inspiring in this regard!

Eden.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Woweeeeee!!!!!! - the only bass designed to survive a thermonuclear attack..... the bass so tough that it scares Lemmy..... the bass so heavy that it warps space-time.... the bass secretly funded by the association of chiropractors.... Super cool!!!!! 8) :D 8)
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
badeggs
Intermediate Member

Post by badeggs »

Reminds me a little of the old Ibanez ATK 300:
AKA "The Rock Cannon." The bassist in a band I was in had one, the thing was just massive (literally and sound-wise).
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Ahhhh the T-40. Had one in the early 80s. That bass more than any other can tell you how stupid I am
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

marc61 wrote:Ahhhh the T-40. Had one in the early 80s. That bass more than any other can tell you how stupid I am
That you sold it, or that you had one, in the first place? :?
marc61

Post by marc61 »

jps wrote:
marc61 wrote:Ahhhh the T-40. Had one in the early 80s. That bass more than any other can tell you how stupid I am
That you sold it, or that you had one, in the first place? :?
I think I told this story before but....

in the early 80s I played bass in a band called The Mad Violets. The singer was a Lower East Side of NYC legend named Wendy Wild. Anyway she had previously attended The School of Visual Arts and during that time became acquainted with this artist. She wanted him to paint my T-40 since it was natural. We went to visit him and he was more than happy to do it, but I resisted because I thought the paint would just chip off.

The artist was Keith Haring.

The reason why I call myself stupid is because I should have recognized his talent. He wasn't unknown at the time.He just wasn't known to uncultured people like myself :P .

PS - I did love the bass for it's sound but didn't like the weight or the look.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

D'oh! *slaps forehead* :oops:
All I wanna do is rock!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

WOW what a story Marc! :shock:

BTW, have you gone to see the Keith Haring exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum? It's there until July...go!

Return to “The Low End”