New from Studio Z--"Wichita Lineman"

Those who flock to The Byrds
vynesmusic

New from Studio Z--"Wichita Lineman"

Post by vynesmusic »

This is submitted for Mr. Krause---probably one of the only RRFers that remembers it..... :roll:

There is a Rick 12 on this track, but the star is the 1964 Fender Bass VI 6-string bass that I'm playing. Glen Campbell used a Fender VI on the solo for the original recording, and also on "Galveston".

Jimmy Webb wrote both songs. All instruments and lead vocal by Gee hisself---There is my Rick 12 on chords, a Telecaster on the string effects, and my 1964 Fender P-bass is there too. Drums were played by hand on a Zoom drum machine---not at all easy :(

here is the link:

http://youtu.be/wG9XfM1uV3k
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
admin
Site Admin

Re: New from Studio Z--"Wichita Lineman"

Post by admin »

Gee a nice bit of work as always. My parents told me about this song. Jim, tell us about the olden days. :lol:
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Yes..... great job on this. I never realized that sound was made with a Fender VI. But, how did they power the amps before there was electricity? I never heard of this Glen Campbell guy, but my parents used to buy his soups. Jim, tell us how you felt the first time you watched a movie with SOUND..... Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Cool! One of my favorite songs (and songwriters!) from the olden daze. Danelectro also had a baritone guitar that was used a lot for a similar effect on them 'ol wax recordin's of yore...Pepperidge Farms Remembers :lol: .....thanks for the link,Gee!
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Man, that really is a great tone when it's brightened up for the solo. I'm another Jimmy Webb fan (I think he was Fred Flintstone's cousin). This is my only Rickenbacker-infused cover of a Jimmy Webb tune. Two tracks of twelve-string - the first instrument you hear is the 370/12 being tapped on with the side of my thumb and index finger and runs all the way through. Later on, there is a more conventional twelve track. Hofner V63 bass and a little bit of simple twangy stuff from a Yamaha Silent steel string. Vocals through a TC Helicon harmony stomp box.

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/M ... wayman.mp3
mcd220

Post by mcd220 »

I think a Fender Vl is what John Lennon plays on "Back in the USSR", hence that very unique rythmic sound that's usually missing when the song is covered.

Best, Christian
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Well.....as ah reckymember 'twere back in aught 23. We didn't have no 'lektricity. Nossir, we had ter play ar gitboxes acoutical, donchaknow. And then there was the time that buffler stampede durn near wiped out the whul farm. Big ol' bull put his hoof right smack through the roof of the soddy Pa had built. Never did git it fixed right arter that. Leaked when it rained something fierce. But on the bright side, it didn't rain much that year. Yep, them wuz the days fer sher. Usedter lissen to that Glen Campbel feller on the ol' crystal set. Iffen the weather wuz jes right, why we could pick up them signals from way down yonder along the border, XERA from Del Rio, Texas. We hyeard 'em all....Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper, Ernest Tubb, Patsy Montana, Bill and Charley Monroe, the Louvin Brothers, The Coon Creek Girls. Yup, I 'member them days like it was yestiddy.
JimK

OK all you folklorists, there's a lot of history scattered throughout that whopper. Your job is to find it! 8) :lol: :lol:
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Jim, your problem was that you hadn't properly prepared to deal with the buffalo, which despite their cute and cuddly nature, can be a real annoyance when you're trying to pick and/or grin. Just like guitar playing, buffalo control takes some serious practice. Here is how we prepare for such things:

http://www.photoshop.com/users/sailaddi ... fbd073baf5
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

That bit about a buffalo bull sticking his hoof through the roof of a house is actually a documented story in Kansas' history. Only difference between my yarn, and the real occurrence is the house was a dugout; essentially a man made cave dug out of a hillside on the prairie. As the story goes, the settler, seeing the buffalo was unable to extricate himself, took his rifle and shot the animal.

How's that for derailing a thread? :lol:
JimK
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

admin wrote:Gee a nice bit of work as always. My parents told me about this song. Jim, tell us about the olden days. :lol:
Thanks JMK----I tend to forget I'm probably the oldest guy on this forum---my covers are usually ancient history-- :oops:

My airline pilot Dad bought this 45 along with "Galveston" back in the day....his father was a lineman in Illinois, and the song really struck a chord in him---also, he liked Glen because Glen "had good hair"........ :lol:

I did NOT have good hair back in the day...... :roll:
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

teb wrote:Man, that really is a great tone when it's brightened up for the solo. I'm another Jimmy Webb fan (I think he was Fred Flintstone's cousin). This is my only Rickenbacker-infused cover of a Jimmy Webb tune. Two tracks of twelve-string - the first instrument you hear is the 370/12 being tapped on with the side of my thumb and index finger and runs all the way through. Later on, there is a more conventional twelve track. Hofner V63 bass and a little bit of simple twangy stuff from a Yamaha Silent steel string. Vocals through a TC Helicon harmony stomp box.

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/M ... wayman.mp3
Wow---I like this track :D ---the song is one of Jimmy's finest, and your arrangement is very cool...I liked the different panning of the vocal for the different verses...very nice--thank YOU for the link / gb
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

mcd220 wrote:I think a Fender Vl is what John Lennon plays on "Back in the USSR", hence that very unique rythmic sound that's usually missing when the song is covered.

Best, Christian
YES---you can see John playing it on the filmed recording of the song---Jack Bruce also used one when Cream first came out.
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

beatbyrd wrote:Yes..... great job on this. I never realized that sound was made with a Fender VI. But, how did they power the amps before there was electricity? I never heard of this Glen Campbell guy, but my parents used to buy his soups. Jim, tell us how you felt the first time you watched a movie with SOUND..... Tom

Well, I did not mean to offend anyone by assuming they knew who Glen Campbell was
....if there were indeed plenty of good songs written after 1975 I would cover them---I will re-consider my age before the next time I get an urge to post a tune on RRF :roll:
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

vynesmusic wrote:....I will re-consider my age before the next time I get an urge to post a tune on RRF :roll:
Eh...why bother? Good music is good music. You did just fine.
JimK
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gee, I was of course kidding. I well know who Glen is and respect him as a picker and performer. Keep them coming! You Rock! :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”