Tuner pedals for bass

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Tuner pedals for bass

Post by Kopfjaeger »

OK, what does everyone use for tuner pedals?? Back int he day I used either a tuning fork (yes, sad but true) or that kazoo looking thing to get me to E then I tuned off off the in tune string. A guitar player in one of the last bands I was in had a nifty electronic tuner from Korg. I thought that thing was the best thing since sliced bread! It had a dial to pick the string you wanted to tune to and an analog gauge. Awesome!!

Fast forward 20+ years. I own an electronic tuner but it's the type you use to tune your axe before plugging into your amp. I see that tuner pedals are quite popular and was thinking of getting one to ease myself into the 21st century a bit.

I was looking around and stumbled across the Ashdown Bassometer. This thing looks like it's built like a tank. Does anyone have one or know of anyone that does?? I have a question out to Ashdown to see if it tunes low B.
DV016_Jpg_Large_H74717.jpg
Sepp
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
T28

Re: Tuner pedals for bass

Post by T28 »

I use the Boss TU-1000 stage tuner....big and easy to see which is why I like it.
Has a setting for bass or guitar and also chromatic or cents plus lots of other options.
Been using it for years without a hiccup. Highly recommended....specially if you have poor eyesight like I do.

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I use a Peterson Stroboflip, but it really is meant to sit on top of your amp or something, but they have the Strobostomp pedal which would be great, too. I have read great things about the Turbo Tuner.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

OK, I've never had a tuner pedal, but...

I used to use a Fender RT-1000 rack tuner, but now I'm using a clip-on, a Snark SN-1. Seems fast and accurate, easier than the RT-1000, and for under $10 you can't really go wrong...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Post by chrisdski »

I use the Boss TU-3 when gigging with my full amp setup. I play outside a lot so brightness of the LEDs is needed. If jammin with my battery amp, I use a Snark clip on.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Boss TU-3 when using my own amps, inbuilt tuner on Line-6 Bass Pod when using house rigs or going straight through FOH.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I know nothing about these, but Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day is a Boss Tu1000 Stage Tuner for Guitar and Bass for $59.99...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/?icid=200510
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Post by chrisdski »

cjj wrote:I know nothing about these, but Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day is a Boss Tu1000 Stage Tuner for Guitar and Bass for $59.99...
That's a really good price. I bought one of these before the TU-3, but it was just too big for my needs. It's the size of a small midi keyboard. If the size is not an issue for you, it's a great tuner. You can also power other peddles off of it's power supply.
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

I've had this: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical- ... mode=model
for almost 20 years. Love it. Works acoustically, plugged direct from my bass, or plugged into the tuner output on my GK.
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Tiny footprint, tracks superfast, and I take advantage of multi-string tuning between songs to quickly make sure things are still in tune. Just flick your fingernail across all of the strings and each one shows up.
T28

Post by T28 »

cjj wrote:I know nothing about these, but Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day is a Boss Tu1000 Stage Tuner for Guitar and Bass for $59.99...
That really is a stupid price for a great tuner. It is big and takes up a bit of real estate on my pedal board but it is quick and easy to use and extremely easy to see in all lighting situations.
I love mine and it is a permanent fixture on my board.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

T28 wrote:
That really is a stupid price for a great tuner. It is big and takes up a bit of real estate on my pedal board but it is quick and easy to use and extremely easy to see in all lighting situations.
I love mine and it is a permanent fixture on my board.
Yeah, but only if you bought it yesterday, it's $199.99 today...
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

Kopfjaeger wrote:OK, what does everyone use for tuner pedals??
Korg Pitchblack. It works. True bypass.

http://korg.com/pitchblack
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

cassius987 wrote:Image

Tiny footprint, tracks superfast, and I take advantage of multi-string tuning between songs to quickly make sure things are still in tune. Just flick your fingernail across all of the strings and each one shows up.
My multieffects pedals which had a tuner, has bitten the dust. I had an early evening outdoor gig coming up this past SAturday, so I went and bought one of these, but in the regular size. Works very well and can be easily seen in daylight. Good thing we didn't include songs that night which needed effects.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

I bought a Dean Malarky PT 13 ,it's a good one and works well.However I prefer the Snark instead of a pedal.

Return to “The Low End”