Paul Weller's Equipment Set Up in The Jam

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

artisan4

Paul Weller's Equipment Set Up in The Jam

Post by artisan4 »

Scouring the web, I have been unable to find a comprehensive site detailing Weller's guitar/amp/effects set-ups in The Jam, by period, etc. Looking at videos and various other sources, this is the information I have been able to find:

Very early on:
Rickenbacker 1997
Amp unknown
Effects unknown

Around the time of In the City:
Rickenbacker 330 in Ruby
Vox AC 30s (Dallas Arbiter era?)
Effects unknown

Around the time of 2nd LP:
RIckenbacker 330 in Ruby
Rickenbacker 335 in Fireglo
Vox AC30s
Marshall 2203 or 2204
Effects unknown

All Mod Cons:
Rickenbacker 330 in FIreglo (on back cover)
Vox AC30s
Peavey Backstage 30
Roland J120 (used on 'Mr Clean' I suppose)
Marshall 2203 or 2204

Setting Sons:
Unknown; there's a guitar collection of his pictured in The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer. He got the black Ric 330 around 'When You're Young', was that before Setting Sons?

The remainder of the life of the band seemed to be the RIckenbacker 330 in black, the Tele and various other 330s. What about effects pedals? Is that a flanger on 'Carnation' on the Bingley Hall video? Usually there's a guitar geek site with all of this detailed, interview with a guitar road tech, etc. Any pics of his pedalboard? Did he have a boost pedal for solos?
Rickenbacker 330 Jetglo
Rickenbacker 4003s/5 White
Mesa Rectoverb Head
Mesa Standard Rectifier 4x12 cabinet
Mesa Rocket 44 Combo amp
allmodcons

Re: Paul Weller's Equipment Set Up in The Jam

Post by allmodcons »

I have also always wondered what equipment was used on various tracks by The Jam.... :|
david/wales/u.k

Post by david/wales/u.k »

I remember him saying once that the distorted sound on 'Eton rifles' and 'Going underground', when played live, was nothing other than the amp cranked all the way up with no effects.( Look up on youtube The Jam Eton Rifles Live 1979 on Something Else)
vax2002

Post by vax2002 »

The guitar on later track from all mod cons to sound effects was recorded via a drum mic in a room lined with corrugated steel.
The bass on eton rifles and going underground was recorded in the same tin sheet lined room but with two mics, on on the cab, one facing the tin sheeting.
allmodcons

Post by allmodcons »

vax2002 wrote:The guitar on later track from all mod cons to sound effects was recorded via a drum mic in a room lined with corrugated steel.
The bass on eton rifles and going underground was recorded in the same tin sheet lined room but with two mics, on on the cab, one facing the tin sheeting.
Thats cool information that I hadnt heard before.... . Was The Jam's studio sessions documented anywhere??
Chris P

Post by Chris P »

Paul started as a bass player with a Höfner violin bass. He slapped Bruce once when he sat on it and broke the neck.

I saw some early Jam pics once with Selmer Treble 'n Bass amps and cabs.
scotty

Post by scotty »

I think he punched him Bruce had a black eye ive a pic somewhere ill look it out.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

No Ruby in the 70s... It was Burgundy.
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
scotty

Post by scotty »

furthermore it wasnt a 1997 early on it was a 1996 with modded guard as the middle pick up was removed.The 1997 that was used in News of the world was borrowed IIRC
Attachments
0.jpg
373883_10151140840670575_500015837_n.jpg
seanfarrell68

Post by seanfarrell68 »

He also played a Gibson SG, mainly on Start! There are lots of clips of him using it live though in the video he plays the Whaaam! Rickenbacker.

Bruce sat on the Hofner long before the black eye picture I think.
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

You may find this of some interest.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar07/a ... s_0307.htm
David Watts

Post by David Watts »

I remember a picture of Paul Weller with a 360F. So while i was searching on google here is what i've found:
"Just like Paul Weller gave Noel Gallagher his white Rickenbacker 330, and gave Steve Cradock his black Rickenbacker 330 featured on The Jam's single sleeves, Weller gave Gem Archer his Rickenbacker 360F following their acoustic tour together. Gem took this prized Rickenbacker to master craftsman Philppe Dubreuille because according to Philippe, "Gem loved the guitar, but he thought the neck was too thin. So I made him a custom guitar that looked and played similar, but with a Les Paul, baseball bat-like neck." As you can see, all the components are the same, but the body and neck are custom made to Gem's liking."
http://www.gemarchergear.com/
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

David Watts wrote:I remember a picture of Paul Weller with a 360F. So while i was searching on google here is what i've found:
"Just like Paul Weller gave Noel Gallagher his white Rickenbacker 330, and gave Steve Cradock his black Rickenbacker 330 featured on The Jam's single sleeves, Weller gave Gem Archer his Rickenbacker 360F following their acoustic tour together. Gem took this prized Rickenbacker to master craftsman Philppe Dubreuille because according to Philippe, "Gem loved the guitar, but he thought the neck was too thin. So I made him a custom guitar that looked and played similar, but with a Les Paul, baseball bat-like neck." As you can see, all the components are the same, but the body and neck are custom made to Gem's liking."
http://www.gemarchergear.com/
I want to be Paul Weller's friend...wait, it's too late. GG has all the rest of Weller's Ricks. . . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
artisan4

Post by artisan4 »

fireglo67 wrote:You may find this of some interest.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar07/a ... s_0307.htm
That's an interesting article-thanks.
Rickenbacker 330 Jetglo
Rickenbacker 4003s/5 White
Mesa Rectoverb Head
Mesa Standard Rectifier 4x12 cabinet
Mesa Rocket 44 Combo amp

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”