Paint Cracking on 4003

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

myrtbass

Paint Cracking on 4003

Post by myrtbass »

Hi folks, Just thought I'd run this by you guys and see if anyone else has seen this problem. I've owned a 2011 JG 4003 since new last Nov. Had absolutely no trouble with it until yesterday. I took it off the wall to check the tuning, and I discovered the finish on both sides of the tailpiece had cracks about 1/4 inch long radiating outward.These are right in the area where the 3 tailpiece hold-down screws would be, as if someone had really cranked those screws tight and crushed the paint. I did not do it as I've never even had the strings off. It wasn't the dealer ,because I personnally opened the box.Why would this happen now? I realize some settling of the wood takes place as I can see that on the back and the headstock.It's like the wood shrunk under the tailpiece.The room has been heated and humidity controlled. I have never had a problem like this with any of my other 6 guitars. P.S . Due to a one year warranty on the finish ,I took it to the dealer to start the process of warranty return. I hate to ship it due to possible handling damage,as everything else about the bass is perfect! Any ideas? Thanks.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Paint Cracking on 4003

Post by jingle_jangle »

Usual procedure on this type of rare occurrence is to call RIC customer service and talk to Richard. He is very helpful in resolving product issues.
myrtbass

Post by myrtbass »

Just an update to this thread. I did what Paul suggested and sent it off through my dealer to Rickenbacker. I got a call from Brandon at RIC customer service. He told me the paint cracking problem was caused by some bumps in the casting under the tailpiece.He also said that to resolve the problem they will give me a new "Body" with trans planted innards. It has been shipped and the ETA is Oct 17. I hope FedEx treats it carefully as it is a long journey. Keeping my fingers Crossed! If this all works out I give a big thumbs up to Ric customer service. I'll Report back after I receive it and give it a good going- over! Bye for now, Roger.
myrtbass

Post by myrtbass »

Forumites, I have good news and bad news to report on my "Repaired" 4003. First of all the Repair went well and the bass is as good as before, with new Body/Neck and all my old hardware,Pickups, guard, jackplate and TRC. Also the offending tailpiece was replaced.Kudos for RIC customer service! Thank's. Now for the bad news. For the "BONEHEAD" who bashed a fingernail-sized chip out of the paint on the corner (Top) near the Bump in the body where your elbow would rest, I would like to take a similar sized piece from his/her A##! RIC says "shipping damage" ,but the box/case is fine. Also there was absolutely no paint chip or debris in the case.I think in future I will not be shipping it back to RIC unless the neck turns into a pretzel or something of that extent. While it may seem that I am dumping on RIC, I really am not. They fixed me up promptly and well. Sometimes misfortunes happen and I guess it was just my turn. Sincerely, Roger.
scotty

Post by scotty »

That's a real shame sorry to hear about that.There is nothing worse than taking something back to get sorted and then getting it back damaged.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I bought a 2010 4003 MID last year and the clear coat is wearing off of the binding around the jack area. The paint around the tailpiece is also chipped. I had issues like this with my 2010 4004 MID too. Because I modded that bass, I got NO help or even a call back from RIC. I had to have that bass refinished at MY expense. My current 4003 MID's finish isn't wearing too well either, so I anticipate having that one refinished too at my expense. It seems there are problems with the new MID finishes. That's a shame 'cause it's my favorite color, and the first new RIC's I've bought since the 70's.
myrtbass

Post by myrtbass »

Hello all, I just thought I'd send a Thank You to Paul W and Rickenbrother for their advice and experience regarding my recent paint issues. I followed Paul's advise about using black nail polish, and Joey's thread for fixing his paint chip. My results were better than I expected ,although far from perfect. The fix will be serviceable and should not cause any more chipping in that area. It's not the end of the world ,and the bass is otherwise good. It's fortunate to have these good resources available to us forumites when required. One last thing, I hope that everyone In Sandy's path (on this forum) is ok and have had minimum grief from this storm. Bye for now,Roger.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

myrtbass wrote:Hello all, I just thought I'd send a Thank You to Paul W and Rickenbrother for their advice and experience regarding my recent paint issues. I followed Paul's advise about using black nail polish, and Joey's thread for fixing his paint chip. My results were better than I expected ,although far from perfect. The fix will be serviceable and should not cause any more chipping in that area. It's not the end of the world ,and the bass is otherwise good. It's fortunate to have these good resources available to us forumites when required. One last thing, I hope that everyone In Sandy's path (on this forum) is ok and have had minimum grief from this storm. Bye for now,Roger.
I doubt RIC would let that pass, the only thing I could think of would be a rapid temperature change that caused the paint to do that.
LONNIE4003

Post by LONNIE4003 »

I had the same paint chip issue around the tailpiece on my 06 jet glow and its starting on my 2011 jet glow !?!?!? Sad but true...
geddeeee
Intermediate Member

Post by geddeeee »

Same thing on my 2011 Jetglo...

Not an isolated incident, then. RIC should check the new UV 'curing' process. I don't think it's cutting it...

Apart from that, the 'newer' 4003 basses are great!!!!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Others who have found this chipping in these years have found rough edges on the underside of the tailpiece. You may want to look.
geddeeee
Intermediate Member

Post by geddeeee »

Thanks John.

I have looked, and the tailpiece is nice and smooth. There is a little 'bubbling' on the chrome, but only in the centre. No rough spots where this connects with the body.

Bits of paint have flaked off, so the bare wood is showing on the G side of the bridge in two spots!!!

Just a little disappointing!!! I will have to live with it. The neck is so, so thin. Amazing.

I think the black nail polish fix may be called for....
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Sad at this price point. You should have seen the look I got at Walgreen's when I asked the girl working there about black finger nail polish. She was wearing black on her nails. I was 59 at the time. :lol:
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

C'mon John...Steven Tyler's older than that, and he's still rockin' the black nail polish :wink:
myrtbass

Post by myrtbass »

Hi Gents, I thought I might comment on the number of forumites having this problem. I am more inclined to believe that it is being cause by a finish curing issue (brittle paint). This is exacerbated by the tailpiece casting. It also seems to take about 9-12 months to rear it's ugly head. My replacement body is a 2012 with my transplanted 2011 guts. Unfortunately, every time I pick it up ,I now look for cracks. I really shouldn't have to do this! with a $2000 bass. RIC really needs to get this problem sorted out. I very much like the instrument otherwise, but I wouldn't buy another. Not with these stupid problems.Keeping my fingers crossed. Best regards, Roger.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”