ricenkenbacker bridge question

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

bowser2533

ricenkenbacker bridge question

Post by bowser2533 »

I know Rickenbacker makes a 12 saddle bridge for a360. How does it sound? Are there any other companies out there making them to fit the ric 360. Any input on this. Thanks Gary
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Re: ricenkenbacker bridge question

Post by whojamfan »

Ed Roman used to have one available that claimed it was the best thing in the world-typical Ed patting himself on the back description of it on his website. Other than that, I haven't seen one. The RIC one works great if you need one and there isn't a giant difference in sound from what I understand. I know a company that specializes in Jazzmaster replacement upgrades came out with a 6 stringer, but don't know if they have plans for a 12.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

As Mike said, there isn't a real difference in sound against the six-saddle bridge. They can improve intonation. Some sets of strings which can give intonation problems with the sixer can benefit from twelve saddles.
All I wanna do is rock!
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

The 12-saddle bridge will certainly compensate for poorly made strings by allowing them to intonate when played open string (and 12th fret). However, it serves no useful purpose as soon as you fret. The moral of the story here is that if perfect intonation is your goal, you MUST use strings that are accurate in their diameter across their entire length. No handmade or cheap string is ever going to pass this test. This, by the way, applies to 6-saddle bridges, no matter whether we're talking 12-string or 6-string guitars.

As far as the sound is concerned, with typical round wound strings, the 12-saddle bridge will make the sound brighter and more intense due to the harder saddles (needed for thread tapping on such a small part). Especially in combination with a solid body guitar, it's a bit more in the school of the Fender XII rather than traditional Rickenbacker. I like that for certain tracks but a 6-saddle on a semi-hollow body is another distinct sound that works better on other material.

You have options.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I found the TI Flats set from Pick of the Ricks solved the intonation problems I had on my 360/12. Definitely give these or a few others a go before resorting to the 12 string saddle. If that doesn't work, make sure you have it cut and installed by a tech who has experience with Rickenbackers so the job is done right. I'm sure if you post a thread asking about a qualified professional in your area, folks will point you in the right direction. Good luck and keep us posted!
bowser2533

Post by bowser2533 »

Thanks alot guys for your input. Very helpful. Gary
bowser2533

T I StringsRe: ricenkenbacker bridge question

Post by bowser2533 »

I have had the same set of T I strings on my ric 360/12 for 7 months now doing 2 to 3 shows a week plus rehearsals. These strings are fantastic the intonation is perfect and they sound now like the day i put em on. How long will they last? Anyome out there had em on any longer? Thanks Gary
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I had a 12-saddle bridge installed on my 2010 360/12 when I had the nut replaced, and I couldn't detect a substantial difference in tone from the stock 6-saddle. Chris Clayton set my guitar up with TI Flats when I bought it, and I've used TI's ever since. I never had any intonation issues with the 6-saddle bridge, but I still thought a 12-saddle bridge would be a good investment, especially since I knew I had to replace the bridge anyway. No excess brightness, because when I get too much treble, I simply adjust the small fifth knob to dial in more of the neck pickup. And, of course, John Hall was talking about roundwound strings when he said the tone would be brighter. My understanding is that there is no such thing as "perfect intonation" on a guitar anyway. Hey, we're not talking about a piano here! :lol: If you do decide to opt for a 12-saddle bridge, I highly recommend you go with the real Rickenbacker one, which is sold by the factory and by Pick of the Ricks.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”