WTB: very strange old mic cable

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

WTB: very strange old mic cable

Post by jdogric12 »

Long shot, but just in case... anyone have a mic cable that connects 5/8" screw-on (like old harp mics) to XLR?
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: WTB: very strange old mic cable

Post by jps »

Amphenol connector? If so, I can check my resources.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Like this? I happen to have one here on an old mic I'm trying to restore.
IMG_0425.JPG
Amphenol MC1F and Switchcraft 2501F

Doubt you'll find a cable already made up since this is usually a high impedance connector, unbalanced, whereas the XLR is typically low impedance, balanced line. But I've made them up before in the past.

Connectors are still readily available- best bet eBay.

Best practice is to use as short a cord as possible with single conductor shielded cable then go to a balun with XLR out then on to the snake or board. Could also use a cable MC1F to phone plug, then into a DI, preferably a 48 volt phantom powered one.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Thanks guys! Great info John. That's the one. I was wrong to want XLR... and I should know better, it's a hi-z mic, so that would be 1/4", yep. I've located a connector. Now just to cross my fingers and hope the ribbon still works!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jdogric12 wrote:Now just to cross my fingers and hope the ribbon still works!
This guy can probably take care of any issues you may have with the mic. 8)
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

jdogric12 wrote:I was wrong to want XLR... and I should know better, it's a hi-z mic, so that would be 1/4", yep. I've located a connector. Now just to cross my fingers and hope the ribbon still works!
There's nothing wrong with using an XLR for high impedance- they're great connectors, terrific shielding. The problem is that people then want to plug them into a low impedance balanced line system which may or may not work well, depending on the gear's input circuit.

The mic I have has a shot coil/diaphragm cartridge that Shure doesn't make anymore. I hope you have better luck.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

johnhall wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:I was wrong to want XLR... and I should know better, it's a hi-z mic, so that would be 1/4", yep. I've located a connector. Now just to cross my fingers and hope the ribbon still works!
There's nothing wrong with using an XLR for high impedance- they're great connectors, terrific shielding. The problem is that people then want to plug them into a low impedance balanced line system which may or may not work well, depending on the gear's input circuit.

The mic I have has a shot coil/diaphragm cartridge that Shure doesn't make anymore. I hope you have better luck.
Yes, it's not the connector, just the circuitry, and using a connector such as an XLR, which is the standard connector for a low impedance (nominal 600 ohms) balanced (same as differential) configuration may lead to confusion down the road.

Of course, if you do as John suggested and use a balun (balanced to unbalanced impedance transformer), then things will match up and work as everyone expects...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

johnhall wrote:

Which old Shure?

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”