Can This Be Done?

A round-table feedback exchange
jimk
RRF Consultant

Can This Be Done?

Post by jimk »

My home recording set up is built around the TASCAM DP-02. It's basically a computer, but not like a Mac or a PC. The problem is that it can only handle two inputs at once, say 2 mics. I'd like to have the option of adding a third mic in the mix especially when I'm recording the drum track, this way; kick drum mic, overhead mic, and a room mic. I've been wondering if an audio interface can be patched into the TASCAM via the USB port, or would it be better to find a 4 channel mixer and patch it into the TASCAM instead.
JimK
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Can This Be Done?

Post by jps »

You're probably better off with a mixer as it will have EQ for each input channel and perhaps other useful features.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

That's what I thought. Thanks.
JimK
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

jimk wrote:I've been wondering if an audio interface can be patched into the TASCAM via the USB port, or would it be better to find a 4 channel mixer and patch it into the TASCAM instead.
JimK
Hi Jim, I don't think that there's a choice involved. I record with a Tascam recorder and the USB port on mine is strictly for moving data to/from a PC. There is no recording capability through the USB port. A mixer would definitely allow you expand the number of inputs. There is also the option to upgrade the recorder to one with more tracks. One problem with your 3 microphone idea is that the individual volume/eq/effects settings can't be changed once recorded (i.e., more/less overhead). The mix on your take is what you'd be stuck with at final mixdown. Good luck. Tom

Oops. Too slow on my response.
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I thought about the locked in tracks, too; depending on what you are doing that may work okay, or not. Back in the early '80s I was involved in quite a bit of live to 2 track recording, of course this was all on 1/4" open reel tape and we had the luxury of razor blade editing. :mrgreen: We did full big band jazz ensembles to string quartets to symphony orchestras that way.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I've taken a look at the larger TASCAM units and having 24 channels available is enough to make me drool. However the screen display is much too small. Except for limiting the DP-02 two mic/line inputs, TASCAM almost got it right. (Should have been 4 mic/line inputs.)
JimK

Tom: how about sharing some of the details of your recording set up? Which TASCAM do you use? Preferred mics? Any outboard gear, preamps, channel strips, audio interfaces, etc. etc. You turn out some of the best sounding recordings on the RRF. I (and others) could learn a lot from you.
JimK
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

jimk wrote:I've taken a look at the larger TASCAM units and having 24 channels available is enough to make me drool. However the screen display is much too small. Except for limiting the DP-02 two mic/line inputs, TASCAM almost got it right. (Should have been 4 mic/line inputs.)
JimK

Tom: how about sharing some of the details of your recording set up? Which TASCAM do you use? Preferred mics? Any outboard gear, preamps, channel strips, audio interfaces, etc. etc. You turn out some of the best sounding recordings on the RRF. I (and others) could learn a lot from you.
JimK
I'm not sure how much anyone can learn from me, but I can tell you what I use. BTW, there are a number of others on this forum who turn out some great recordings that I can only dream of accomplishing.

= Tascam 2488 24 track hard disk recorder. --- I'm actually on my second one. TEAC is very close to where I live, so I had my first 2488 refurbed and now it's a backup unit. I purchased both of them new for about $550/$600 each. I need more tracks!!! Tascam makes a 32 track version now. Hmmm. Tascam has discontinued the 2488, replacing it with the DP-24. The DP-24 has a larger COLOR display screen and records to flash memory, instead of a hard disk. I bought a backup hard disk, just in case one of mine fails.
= Lexicon MX300 reverb/effects
= Tascam M216 16 X 4 X 2 analog mixer
= Universal Audio LA-610 mk II preamp (bought from a forumite)
= Yamaha near field monitors/subwoofer
= Rode NT1A condensor microphone
= Sennheiser MD 441U microphone
= Shure SM 57 microphone
= Shure SM 59 microphone
= very cheap Sony heaphones ($15?)

Aside from a bunch of guitars, a bouzouki, a cheap mandolin, a Chinese guzheng, a Roland keyboard, a snare drum, and various stompboxes, direct box, percussion stuff, etc. - that's it. I think that a computer based setup gives you better quality and more flexibility, but I like the results that I get with my current setup. You might want to think about an 8 track Tascam or a PC/MAC setup. I think that they have more of what you need. Tom

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Here are the thousand words:
IMG_0705.small.jpg

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Something looks strangely familiar, there. 8)
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

jps wrote:Something looks strangely familiar, there. 8)
Sorry Jeff, it's not for sale!!!! After a bunch of the buy-sell-buy cycles, that part of the recording chain is complete, thanks in great measure to you. Now, if you have a 24 bit or higher, 192 khz, 48 track recorder for sale cheap, let's talk offline. Tom

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

beatbyrd wrote:...if you have a 24 bit or higher, 192 khz, 48 track recorder for sale cheap, let's talk offline. Tom
Sorry, just one of these dinosaurs. I wish! :mrgreen:
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I guess my ideal would be to have enough room for maybe 10 or 12 tracks. Certainly 16 would give me more than enough. Because I mostly want to record my own songs, simply, and with only the instruments I can actually play well enough to get by; guitars, bass, drums, fiddle, maybe lap steel someday, and up to three vocal parts. So no horns, probably no synthesizers, and probably no keys. (It has been way too many years since I've sat down at a piano.)
JimK
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

How many tracks do you want to be able to record at the same time? Do you foresee having more than yourself playing an instrument while recording?
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Jim, you might be best served (budgetwise) by using a PC based system, maybe with Audacity (freeware) and a decent USB interface like a Scarlett with 4, 6, or 8 inputs. You could also upload tracks from your Tascam (via USB) and add them to the Audacity tracks. Audacity is a friendly, robust package and the price is right. You'd have more tracks than you say you'll ever need. Just another idea.

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

jps wrote:How many tracks do you want to be able to record at the same time? Do you foresee having more than yourself playing an instrument while recording?
Probably only one track at a time, realistically speaking. Currently my method is to record a scratch track on one channel with voice, acoustic guitar, and a click track, then overdub other instruments and harmony parts as needed. What I want to get away from is the necessity of bouncing say the bass guitar and drums to one stereo track.

If there were to be another instrumentalist, the thing to do would be to collaborate over the internet. Several people have done that quite successfully.

I have been playing around with Audacity lately on a long-running recording project. And I may change my mind about its quality.
JimK

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”