A bit of advice on buying a new Ricky bass.

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

custommetal

A bit of advice on buying a new Ricky bass.

Post by custommetal »

Hello Forum,

I took originally took bass lessons at school to get out of classes. had a P bass and an Aria Pro 2. Also had a Gibson Les Paul, a Strat and a John Lennon sig series 325. Only 2 325s came to NZ and mine was the only short scale. I bought it brand new.
All the guitars went 20 years ago except the Ricky. I bought a cheapy Aria pro2 and practice amp a few years ago to doodle around with.

The 325 Ricky I intended to keep forever but it was stolen in January. So having it stolen has lifted my interest in playing again- more for relaxation than anything.

To replace my loss Im looking at a new Fireglo 4003 but the dealer also had a translucent Red 4004 he was discounting heavily. The 4003 was what I expected but man that 4004 sure did growl. Im going back next week to pick up a Fender J bass I bought and if the insurance is organized pick up a Rickenbacker.

I was wondering if I could get some advice on what to look for or consider when buying a brand new Ricky bass. Reviews are reasonably consistent but seem to discuss earlier models/necks and especially mention the 2008 4004 etc but not 2 much about 2014. Also- what exactly is a 2 piece neck on a neck thru body?

Thanks,
Tony
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Re: A bit of advice on buying a new Ricky bass.

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

Tony:

This one is your stolen 325?

http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... 6order%3D8

SN B29783?

That really is sad news. Hopefully it will surface and you will get it back.
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

*popcorn*
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

custommetal wrote:Hello Forum,

I took originally took bass lessons at school to get out of classes. had a P bass and an Aria Pro 2. Also had a Gibson Les Paul, a Strat and a John Lennon sig series 325. Only 2 325s came to NZ and mine was the only short scale. I bought it brand new.
All the guitars went 20 years ago except the Ricky. I bought a cheapy Aria pro2 and practice amp a few years ago to doodle around with.

The 325 Ricky I intended to keep forever but it was stolen in January. So having it stolen has lifted my interest in playing again- more for relaxation than anything.

To replace my loss Im looking at a new Fireglo 4003 but the dealer also had a translucent Red 4004 he was discounting heavily. The 4003 was what I expected but man that 4004 sure did growl. Im going back next week to pick up a Fender J bass I bought and if the insurance is organized pick up a Rickenbacker.

I was wondering if I could get some advice on what to look for or consider when buying a brand new Ricky bass. Reviews are reasonably consistent but seem to discuss earlier models/necks and especially mention the 2008 4004 etc but not 2 much about 2014. Also- what exactly is a 2 piece neck on a neck thru body?

Thanks,
Tony
Sorry to hear about this theft, Tony.

I have a minty special 4004 Laredo I am selling. It was the bass on display at the 2012 NAMM Show at the Rickenbacker booth when they re-introduced their Ruby finish. It is set up wonderfully (at the moment) with TI Jazz Flats strings. It is powerful sounding with all the glorious Rick attributes and dead quiet noise-wise due to the great HB-1 pickups in the bass. It comes with the standard SKB RIC case. This bass is featured in a double truck (two page spread) in Paul Boyer's Rickenbacker book. :D

Let me know, thanks.Where are you located?
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

I vote for the 4004, although I think you would be ecstatic with either model.

GLWTP, and welcome to the Forum. 8)
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .
edski
Advanced Member

Post by edski »

rickyfricky wrote:I vote for the 4004, although I think you would be ecstatic with either model.

GLWTP, and welcome to the Forum. 8)
Seconded, on all points.
ram

Post by ram »

Both are cool... and both can get some great sounds and can be made to sound just about like one another. The 4004, to my ear, sound more like a Fender or Gibson Ripper on Rickenbacker steroids, but unmistakably Ric! The 4004 pickups are quieter than the 4003. The 4004's are a tad lighter as well. My 4004C has become my go to 4 string although my '74 4001 still has my favorite neck.

Jeff - that Ruby is stunning!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

custommetal wrote:what exactly is a 2 piece neck on a neck thru body?
That just means that the block of wood at the center of the body -- the central part which goes all the way from the peg-head to the butt -- is actually made of two pieces of wood; this is not including the fingerboard, if I recall. Basically 2-pieces of wood comprise the neck, and the neck goes all the way through the body. Two body "wings" are then glued to this center piece, and usually the peg-head gets wings too.

I think the number of pieces used to construct the neck have varied in RIC instruments over the years, but the general consensus (feel free to correct me if I am wrong, anyone) is that more pieces of wood lend the neck greater stability, while fewer pieces lend greater tone; the latter is, of course, subjective.
custommetal wrote:I was wondering if I could get some advice on what to look for or consider when buying a brand new Ricky bass.
The new production models are pretty solid, and RIC instruments are more consistent than ever because everything is cut-out using CNC machines. Neck profiles still seem to vary slightly between production runs, but I'm sure that's because they are still finished by hand.

Beyond that: just get your hands on as many as possible before making a decision.

Welcome to the forum! 8)
Last edited by DriftSpace on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

First of all I'm sorry for your loss. Second, if I ever visit NZ for work (not a sure thing but could happen) I'll see if I can help bring you something.

Buying sight unseen is tough; perhaps especially for Rics as they do vary a bit more than Fenders and other production line instruments. For a few years, 4003s were more consistent than 4004s. Nowadays I think the 4004 has caught up in that respect.

If I bought a new Ric today, it would be a 4004, not a 4003. I finally changed my tune on that after playing enough of each. The 4004 has definitely come into its own and is such a cool bass when the QC is up to snuff. Sound is fantastic too -- I don't believe they are too dark as some say, especially with a proper amp. In the 4003/4001 spectrum I'd probably buy used. I'm pretty set in my ways about the best neck profile for these and the last 4003 I played was definitely moving away from it, so I'll probably look at 70s 4001s more than anything else in the used market from now on.

If it helps you to know, I've been tracking the weight of the two models for about a year and the 4003 comes in about 9.5 lbs on average while the 4004 is a whole pound lighter on average.
custommetal

Post by custommetal »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:Tony:

This one is your stolen 325?

SN B29783?

That really is sad news. Hopefully it will surface and you will get it back.
thanks. no its was K34356. The burglars have been caught. they are on film trying to sell the guitar. no luck yet with its recovery. I hope i get first option if it does turn up.
custommetal

Post by custommetal »

Thanks for the replies,

Ive had a good read of the comments. My gut feeling was to buy the 4004 and sit back and wait for an older 4001 to come up. Looks like thats the theme here. It would be nice to play a few older 4001 but im not sure if ill ever have the opportunity. Ive had a look at ebay and there always seem to be quite a few 4001 available. I travel to LA or SF each year so Ill and line up something next time I visit.

I Stumbled across a Sam Ash shop in LA six weeks ago and could have had a new fireglo 4003 for $1680USD inc tax so thats $2150.00 New Zealand dollars. the best price I can get here is around $3200NZD. so thats another factor.

what are 4004s retailing for in the US?
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

The market in the US is a bit flat: probably $1500 to $1800 for a used 4004. :idea:

They retail new for around $1800, IIRC.

Expert-texperts, please correct me if I'm wrong...
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .
rickenbottom

Post by rickenbottom »

Youre right in the ball park...$1729.00 for a brand new 4004l in fireglo at Daves Guitar Shop in Wisconsin... :)
2011 4003 Jetglo
2013 330 Mapleglo
2013 4004L Snowglo
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

Don't forget Wildwood Guitars.

They have a bunch of 4004Cii Cheyenne basses in-stock, and I'm pretty sure they are committed to beating competitors prices. I've only priced the 4003 from them, but I seem to remember them having the best price.
custommetal

Post by custommetal »

Hi all,

I was hoping the Fender was in this weekend but its delayed. The owner of the music shop offered to let me take home another bass until it arrives so I picked up the 4004 today.

The first thing I did was check out the serial number and found its a week 46 2008 model. There are several chips in the finish from being displayed so it couldnt strictly be considered "new". the action was high so not super enjoyable to play but the sound was good.

I called Wild wood Guitars and can buy a new 4004cii for $1900 shipped to LA. So thats about $2500NZD plus int shipping and tax. The bass I have here retailed at $3500NZD and is on special for $3000NZD.

so its probably a no brainer to import a new post 2010 4004cii with the 2 piece/ 4003 width neck for similar money. (been reading Paul's book)

Sound about right?
Attachments
DSCN0232.JPG
DSCN0231.JPG
DSCN0225.JPG

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”