Setlist

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

profjeff

Setlist

Post by profjeff »

Hi Friends:

I am looking to add some new songs to my coffeehouse gig. I have been playing "Free Falling" and "Feel a Whole Lot Better" on my 360/12 for some time (along with two of my originals) but I would like to add a couple of new songs that feature my 360/12. My wife plays acoustic guitar and bass...she also has a fabulous voice. Any suggestions for us?

BTW, we're looking for something not so obvious or cliche (we already have plenty of Byrds, Dylan, Beatles, etc.). How about something fairly recent?

http://home.comcast.net/~drjeffreyb
grsnovi
Veteran RRF member

Post by grsnovi »

Petty's AMERICAN GIRL

I suspect that you could do an arrangement a la The Bangles of HAZY SHADE OF WINTER that nicely uses your RIC.

The theme from the TV show FRIENDS ?
corey

Post by corey »

Why don't you try some arrangements for:
"Feelin' The Same Way" - Norah Jones
"Come in From the Cold" - Joni Mitchell
"You Know Who I Am" - Leonard Cohen
"Carbon" - Tori Amos
sneakers

Post by sneakers »

"Found Out About You" by the Gin Blossoms is a good one. You "can" do "And Your Bird Can Sing", capoed on the 2nd fret, and play it in a "D" position. Using the 12'er on that song makes it similar to two guitars. Sounds great.
profjeff

Post by profjeff »

GREAT IDEAS!

Thanks...keep 'em comming.

"Carbon" would be a big hit around here (Colorado). It's about skiing/boarding at Snowmass! Carbon is a metaphor for a black diamond run. She mentions Free Fall and Gunner's View which are ski runs at Snowmass--my favorite place in the world to ski!
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I would think anything recorded on an accoustic would translate well to a 12.
herbsman

Post by herbsman »

the la's were a fantastic late 80's uk band from liverpool..who didn't use ricks but loved thier gretches and studer valve gear.. their one lp is so good..just called "the la's" on go-discs..
thier most famous and i use that sparingly song was "there she goes"..but everything they sang had a spirit .and you knew lee mavers never made those songs up ..they just arrived... they'd been there all your life unarticulated ..then they appeared.. and life was never the same again.. something very similar happened 30 years previously to another scouse geezer..maybe something gets passed along into eternity and if you are lucky enough you get to continue its evolution....
darkrider1

Post by darkrider1 »

A few that come to mind immediately:

"Oh What a Cryin' Shame" - The Mavericks
"The Hillbilly Rock" - Marty Stuart
"Knee Deep In The Blues" - Gram Parsons
ted_williams
Veteran RRF member

Post by ted_williams »

"Until You Came Along" - Golden Smog
"Under The Milky Way" - The Church
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jeff: I would consider doing "5 Days In May" by Blue Rodeo. It is a great tune with some nice harmony lines, and would be great to sing with your wife. You can also have a little fun with the lead break at the end and with harmonica if you are so inclined.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rickwatt

Post by rickwatt »

"Drunken Angel"-Lucinda Williams
"Starry Eyes"-The Records
"You Tore Me Down"-The Flamin' Groovies
"Flying Machine"-The Stairs
"These Are The Days"-Paul Westerberg
"A Million Miles Away"-The Plimsouls
joeyr
Veteran RRF member

Post by joeyr »

Wow. Outside of the Records, I thought I was the only one who played "Starry Eyes"

Other Records tunes I play: "I Don't Remember Your Name" and "Hearts in Her Eyes." Fun stuff

"Kicks" Paul Revere
"I Should Have Known Better"
"I Go To Pieces" P & G
"I'll Keep You Satisfied" Billy J. Kramer
That's not your grandfather
profjeff

Post by profjeff »

You folks are making me dig deep into my vinyl collection with some of these suggestions! (I actually have the Plimsouls "Everywhere at Once" album on both vinyl and cd...the LP sounds much better than the disc!).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Why not send me an email Profjeff.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

How about "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None the Richer? Also they do a great Ricky cover of Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over" that would probably sound great on a 12.... Their latest release, "Divine Discontent" is artistically very inspiring to listen to, and many of the songs would lend themselves well to a 12-string Ric....
"Once I've held and played the best, baby, I won't settle for less!"

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”