Difference in 325 models?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Gary_Cost

Difference in 325 models?

Post by Gary_Cost »

Mark;

What are the differences between a 325v59 and a 325v63? Can one be 'transformed' into the other without to much difficulty? Is it just a matter of cousmetics, ex. pickguard, truss rod cover etc.? And what would need to be done to convert the v59 into the 325 12 string model?
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

What is the differance between a 1966 fast back Ford Mustang and a Mercury Cougar?

Touche

Well ,sorry....this is a lot to ask and I will just scratch the surface.

Do you want to know the differance between the new re-issues or between the real thing?
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gary: I'll leave the technical details regarding the 12 string conversion to Mark, however, the main difference is that the 325V59 has a bigsby vibrato and is in Mapleglo finish while the 325V63 has an Accent vibrato and is in Jetglo finish. The links indicated here provide the specifications listed on the Official Rickenbacker Site. These models were made famous, of course, by John Lennon and continue to be sought after by Beatle fans worldwide.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Obviously the headstock is different.

The shape and ,i believe the thickness and the rounding over of the edge is different.I have never actually seen one of these 12strings but that would be my guess.

The difference on a 360 12 headstock is just that,the sides are not as curved and the depth of the headstock is more to allow the casing of the Schaller "Kluson" style tuners to fit.Plus the edges are barely rounded over .This makes for a nicer 'fit' of the tuners.

To change out the six string to a 12 string ,the neck would most likely have to be stripped,the wings might need to be changed and the tuner holes redrilled.The slashes would they need to be routed and the nameplate modified to fit the area between the two slashes.
Then respray the neck.

Big job and to be honest,I don't think that it works ,due to the layout of the tuners.The original tuner holes are in a different pattern than the 12 and if the 4th and 3rd string tuner holes don't line up then they would need to be dowel (actually I would use a plug cutter and try to match the grain,but that could be tough if the wings were walnut and the holes were on the edge of the maple/walnut joint)
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”