Bigsbys on Lennon's 325 and Harrison's Duojet

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

admin
Site Admin

Bigsbys on Lennon's 325 and Harrison's Duojet

Post by admin »

Mark: I know very little about Bigsbys but have heard of them referred to as B3, B5, B6 and B7. So it would seem that they have evolved over the years. I am wondering whether you recall the Model of Bigsby that Lennon had installed on his 1958 325 and whether it was the same as the one on George's Gretsch Duojet?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

The Gretsch country Gentleman uses/used the B6

The Gibson SG and the Lennon 325 have B5 tailpieces

The Gibson ES-355 from the 1950's and the early 1960's had a B7 mount on it.Some LesPaul customs also have this model.

The small bodied Gretsch's like the White Penguin and the DuoJet have the B3 model.See the George Harrison CD/LP 'Cloud Nine' for a great shot of this guitar.This is the Please,Please Me tone .

John did not use his to my knowledge but rather it was a cool looking tailpice that was much more stable than the Kaufman tailpiece.Plus it looked like all their hero's instruments (Chet Atkins,Duanne Eddy,Carl Perkins)
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mark: Thanks. Your post motivated me to look further and some additional information with regard to Bigsby Vibratos was kindly provided by the Gretsch gang. It seems to me that Lennon really never used his Bigsby in live performances or in the recording studio. George also seems to have used his Bigsby very little with the exception of notable tunes such as "Baby's In Black".
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”