Classical composers you dig?

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

malcolm

Classical composers you dig?

Post by malcolm »

which composers & pieces inspire you, or have made an impact on you? and why?

anyone check out Charles Ives 4th Symphony...he samples & mixes in this one,around 1920 something.pretty amazing stuff.

how about Stravinsky's Firebird Suite...the intro is a killer bass line, & it doesn't stop there. lot's of passion here, which i believe most Russian composers have.

Samuel Barber's (from philly no less)1st two Symphonies & his violin concerto & cello concerto are some of the most musically interesting, yet beautifully romantic pieces i've heard.

lot's more to talk about...later
malcolm (philly)
rictified

Post by rictified »

I like Beethoven, even Strauss waltzes, in fact when I got married I had to dance to The Blue Danube for at least 15 minutes and I can't do a waltz to save my life (felt like 15 hours, it's a tradition in Peru)
malcolm

Post by malcolm »

Bob
help me out here brother. how do Beethoven, Strauss & the Blue Danube waltz, all of germanic origin i believe, relate to a Peruvian, South American dance tradition? you must be puttin me on.
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

I don't really know much at all about classical composers, but I do like the movie Shine. I've seen some of it, but will buy the DVD soon. I have the soundtrack, and my favorite is The Flight Of The Bumblebee.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Prokoviev (sp?) kinda sounds rock and roll to me.
beatlefan

Post by beatlefan »

Lennon/McCartney

:^)
1973 4001 MG cb fwi
1986 4003 Shadow
2012 4004Cii FG w/gold trim
lshaia
Veteran RRF member

Post by lshaia »

About time we got some freakin' culture! ;-)

Some of my favorites are: Stravinsky, Firebird, Petroushka; Tchaikovsky, Piano Concerto No. 1, complete Nutcracker; Orff, Carmina Burina; Harvey, Concerto Antico for Guitar; Praetorius, Dances; Beethoven, Symphony No. 6; Chopin, Nocturnes; Mendelssohn, Songs without Words; too many others to list.

Good topic.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Anything involving harpsicords or violins. I like my classical music pastoral but snobby.(Tell the captain to send up another drink Lovey....)
byu
Intermediate Member

Post by byu »

I like most of the Basic Repertoire and a lot of 20th Century. Certainly Stravinsky & Zappa. The Composer-in-Residence for the CSO, Augusta Read Thomas, writes some pretty intense stuff.
malcolm

Post by malcolm »

20th century composers & music is pretty hip...Prokofiev's "Scythian Suite", Bartok's "Concerto for Orchestra", Schoenberg's "Verklarte Nachte", all have a polytonal or atonal thing going on, at least some of the time, which can be dynamic as you'll find. Zappa...good call Bill. And there are some really good movies...Bob mentioned "Shine", which is fantastic. How about "The Red Violin" or "Hilary & Jackie", which also promote the classics, while capturing the human drama that is the essence of any music.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Hi Malcom,
It is traditional for the new husband and wife to dance to the Blue Danube at weddings there. I'm talking Lima now, not Maccu Piccu. The native Indian culture has their own music and customs, but Lima is a modern city of 8 million people. I too was surprised though that they used that song. Actually classical music is very popular in Lima, they get it in school, their educational system beats ours or at least the private schools do, they all learn English for one thing even in the public schools from day one, are bilingual to some degree. My 17 year old niece speaks Spanish, English and French.
Now how about some jazz?
I love Coltrane, Monk, Davis, Mingus, many others.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Oh... I get it..."you dig"! And if you did dig one up, surely he'd be putting an eraser to his manuscripts...you know, decomposing.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have always admired Bach. During the early 1960s I was introduced to Bach's Inventions by our bassist. I was taken immediately by the symmetry and harmonies in these short works.

Call it a stretch, however, I see a similarity between Bach's work and the instrumentals in the Hollies' "Bus Stop" and The Beatles' "In My Life."

I also think the instrumental in "And Your Bird Can Sing" has harmonies and a staccato quality that resembles some of Bach's Inventions.

My two cents.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
ibmindless

Post by ibmindless »

If you enjoy Bach, hopefully you've listened to Bach's Suite 1, Prelude from his Unaccompanied Cello series, a particular favorite of mine. This piece was also featured on the movie, "Master & Commander." Naturally, many artists have performed this, but Yo-Yo Ma's rendition is among the best --- he makes the cello cry a low, stirring, soulful wail.
malcolm

Post by malcolm »

Ah Bach...peter, if your bassist was into Bach's Inventions in the 60's,(this is also a real stretch),is he bassist jaco pastorius, who played Bach's "Chromatic Fantasy" on his "Word of Mouth" album, about 1980? nah...didn't think so.

I'm not familiar w/ Bach's Inventions,but know the Beatles & Hollies songs you mention.Your comparision is interesting...so i'll probably pick up the Bach pieces to check it out.

Mark, Yo-Yo Ma performs w/ the philly orchestra bout once a year, so it's fantastic to see & hear him, no matter what he's playing. incredible musician.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”