Acoustic wedges

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

billikenn
Veteran RRF member

Acoustic wedges

Post by billikenn »

hmm, well I been doin some research, and Im confident I can design the wedges I want for my space, but still no material to make them out of.

Ijust finished a journal artical that basically said the material should be porous, whether it is rigid or not.
I would swear the "echo free" room up at the science discovery complex (COSI) was steel. before I read the articale I was thinking I could just use aluminum roof flashing and bend it. (inspiration of Home Depot)

Now back to square one.
historically wedges are made of:
mineral wool
glass wool
and poly foam within the last couple decades

foam is not an option due to fire hazard problems

any fiberglass experts that can give me an idea and some leads on how to make porous glass boards?

or if you got an idea of another product I could use I would be glad to hear it...

JP
billikenn
Veteran RRF member

Post by billikenn »

well im off my wedge kick.

Now im interested in these.
http://www.realtraps.com/

Not quite as efficient as wedges, but youve got your choice of bouncing back the mids and highs
and they are much less unsightly
and I could see using more of them as compared to wedges.

cost of the wedges adds up quick because of teh surface area

learning a lot
checkout this page if this stuff interests you at all.
http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

well at least Im glad to find out glass boards are compressed glass, not a composite.

JP
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

Amazingly, even though my listening room is fairly ******, I can easily tell the difference in sound between my C-J amps and B&K amps when they were switched out of the system. Within the audio range, a measurement of specs with test equipment would show almost no difference between the two brands, but the ears can tell in a few seconds even in a bad room. And it's not that the B&K amps were bad, because I have heard more expensive amps that sound significantly worse, but I could spot the nuances even in a ****** room. I tend to believe Richard Hardesty about our ears/brains adapting to ****** rooms and separating the room sound from the music.

Still, a recording engineer needs a neutral room to do his mix (or buy a pair of Grado reference quality headphones). Those guys need acoustic treatment. I need a move.

I sit rather close to my loudspeakers and move around until I find the sweet spot for the music. A ****** room can act as sort of a tone control to counteract ****** recordings at times. Those glass panels might be acoustically effective, but how do you convince the wife that you need to hang them all over the room? It will work in a work situation, but home matters are different. Would you hang advertising signs on your new Jaguar? The wife will feel the same way about uglyass acoustic panels hanging all around a room. They need to be installed flush in the walls with stylish cover designs.

I can spot noises and artifacts in top quality audio mixes even in my ****** room. A resonance was very audible in the closing piano score of "Russian Ark". What REALLY bothers me is when furniture, fixtures, doors, or windows rattle. This is a muy grande problem when practicing bass. Acoustic panels won't stop that, but it lets you hear it more faithfully. I don't get these problems as badly when listening to recorded music, so that proves to me that most audio mixes take the profundo out of the basso.

Because of the insulating properties of foam wedges, be sure and buy/make them with a precise distance between the fins so that you can shove your beer there and hold it in place and keep it cool while you go and clean another record to listen to.

I have found that suspending my speaker cables above the floor on freshly emptied beer cans tend to greatly release the "mojo" in the music. The more beer cans under the cables, the more the music will involve you, it seems. However, by the next morning, the effect has not only went away, but has made matters worse. Oh, the mysteries of audio!
tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

Thanks Josh.....two interesting sites.
'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”