Truss Rod Retro-fit

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Truss Rod Retro-fit

Post by aceonbass »

I would like to know if the newer style 4000 series truss rods can be dropped in in place of the older units. Specifically a mid 70's 3001 that I'm customizing with an ebony fingerboard( I never liked rosewood)and triangle inlays. I thought since the fingerboard was off I'd do this if it were possible.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

It would require routing the slot deeper , and making a filler strip to go over the rod .

There is a couiple of ways to install the new version (aka Gibson style truss rods -they had the patent on them ) You need to install them with a slight curve to them ... I make the low point a couple of inches off center toward the anchor end .

Rumor has it that when installed straight they also work ....but as I have never tried it , nor do I like to waste my time and to make a neck as an expierament to see if this will work , I just don't bother trying it .

I would highly reccomend changing the rods out to the 'new version' .
It can still appear to be th eolder ones under the nameplate .Who cares ? it needs to function .
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Then you've done this before? If I ship you the neck with a couple of new rods will you perform this mod? While you're at it, I also want Rickenbacker style triangle inlays done on the fingerboard.
If this all sounds like something you would be into doing then how much? would be my next question. Thanks for the info.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

I am re-opening this thread, as I am currently doing this mod, changing the rods on a '66 12-string to use the current style rods.

So: All I would do is make the slots slightly wider on the body-end of the neck (to accomodate the larger nuts*) and then put 'em in and that's it? No endangerment to the fingerboard, etc.?

Yo he'p is much 'preesheeaydid.

* no nut jokes!
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

I don't think it is Quite that easy; different animals.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

There is no way to utilize the new truss rod system on an old instrument, short of removing the fingerboard and doing some extensive work. I know we've never even been temtped to try it.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Gosh...is it because of the thickness of the neck or something? Just curious.
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Assuming the neck thickness might Not be an issue,
removal of the fingerboard Is an issue involving
much thinking ahead of yourself,as well as once you got the fingerboard off, you would probably need to fill the old slots with wood, then rerouting new slots to accommodate the dimensions of the new rods, and making sure that the surface of the neck where the fingerboard is to be reglued
is clean and dead flat and straight. And the issue of whether or not the heat you likely used to remove the fingerboard in the first place didn't make the fingerboard curl and get weird on you, in which case, now you have to make a new fingerboard as well.I'll give you this, you're one ambitious guy to want to tackle this.If you do it, take your time.Only you can determine if it's worth your time and effort. Good luck...

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”