Are bass toasters and guitar toasters the same thing?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Are bass toasters and guitar toasters the same thing?

Post by paul_yan »

Brothers and sisters,
I'm wondering if a bass toaster and a guitar toaster are the same thing and interchangeable since they all have 6 polepieces and use the same cover.

Would anyone please educate me?
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Yes, the toaster pickup design is the same whether the pickup is to be fitted to a bass or to a 6/12 string guitar. Just like it was back in the sixties.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Brilliant, Sergio.
Thank you for demystifying for me again.
Have a very nice evening.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Thanks, Paul. There's one thing I'm not sure of, though: whether currently all toaster pickups are fitted solely with long polepieces (= higher output than short polepieces).
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

I think the high gain is the same except for the number of poles ... except I'm not sure about the modern high gains being the same for guitar and bass ...
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Yes, they are exactly the same.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I was wondering about this also, as I suspected they were the same.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

The fact that the pickups have the same basic design is a simple cost-cutting & time-saving measure. (And why not?)
gregson1
Veteran RRF member

Post by gregson1 »

If anything is different, it's the pickup baseplate. For bass toasters and high gains, the baseplate is threaded to accept the supplied machine screw for mounting purposes. The bass humbuckers also ship with the mount plate tapped for a machine screw, but the screws supplied are actually wood screws, and it comes with the foam buffer for surface mounting.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”