Bells of Rhymney solo

Those who flock to The Byrds
kvalois

Bells of Rhymney solo

Post by kvalois »

Has anyone ever figured out the classic McGuinn solo on the Bells of Rhymney???

Karl
No electric guitar can compare to the "jingle-jangle" of a Rickenbacker!!!
Don Miller
Veteran RRF member

Post by Don Miller »

Man..you have to have your finger-hybrid picking down for that one...the solo itself isnt too hard..but to play it right is another thing..

Heres a link to an OLGAish version...which is close....

http://www.allguitartabs.com/index.php/tab/6582/
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

I have, but I do everything by ear; tab means nothing to me.I'd probably be ahead of the game even more if I could use fingerpicks, but I've seen Roger do it live with only a flatpick back in the 70s.Sounds harder than it really is...
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

I think he's doing a quasi-banjo roll on this solo; at least that what it sounds like to me, and when I play it in that fashion it seems to work...
Don Miller
Veteran RRF member

Post by Don Miller »

I 'spose you could cross pick it..if Don A saw him doing it with a flatpick, thats what he was doing,,,but yeah...that solo is one place where McGuinn's background as a banjo player comes out...

McGuinn does do hybrid picking these days..flatpick and fingers..and it could be played that way if one can get the middle and ring fingers to move fast enough...my creeky old hands wont...
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Possible when I saw him doing this w/o the fingerpics, he had longer right hand fingernails, and in effect, he still Was doing a combined picking thing. This was in '74, between his 1st and 2nd solo LPs and he played a small theatre[The Guthrie] in Mpls.I got to spend about 45 minutes backstage with him that nite[he was doing 2 shows on a bill with Waylon Jennings as headliner]and he was using a Herco Gold nylon pick
that he told me was his current favorite thing.Of course, shortly after this, I had to go get some Hercos as well.
Don Miller
Veteran RRF member

Post by Don Miller »

I had a chance to talk to him for a few minutes after a show in Anchorage in 1998. I asked about his picking style...he held up a flatpick in between his thumb and index finger...and kind of waved the middle and ring fingers...and said "like this"....

So I threw out the Herco that I had...

A good cross picker can make flat picking sound like fingerpicking...like some of Clarence White's early stuff..."Appalachain Swing" and "33 Instrumentals"... before he went electric and got the pick and fingers thing going...and teamed up with that McGuinn guy..

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”