80's Hofner 500/1 question

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

saab95

80's Hofner 500/1 question

Post by saab95 »

Hello, I have an 80's hofner 500/1 violin bass, the one with the blade pickups. In the past 2 years the pickups are getting a green color because of corrosion, and It's very difficult scrapping it off. I tried sanding it and then coating gently with WD40 oil, but it came back. I think maybe it has to do with the hardshell case, so I'm leaving it in the fresh air (indoors of course...) for the moment, to see if it helps.
I'm considering replacing the pickups for new ones, maybe of the "staple" type, like on Paul McCartney's 500/1. Will they fit?
Thank you,
Ariel.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: 80's Hofner 500/1 question

Post by jingle_jangle »

Do you mean, sanding, as in with sandpaper?

These pickups have brass cases and sanding them will only make them corrode more rapidly. WD40 is not one of my favorite things to prevent corrosion on guitars--it gets gummy over time and is not good for most finishes. When they 'prevents rust" on the can, they are referring to garden tools and such.

As to whether the new pickups will fit, I'm not a Hofner expert, although I do own an Icon (ducks)...but I would suggest that they would if they have the same footprint.
saab95

Post by saab95 »

Thank you Paul.
RutleDirk
Veteran RRF member

Post by RutleDirk »

Only the later (c. 1965-66) "staple" pickups would fit without modification. Earlier models, such as Paul's instruments, used a different mounting system: http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/h ... er_pu.html
The Icon pickups appear to have a completely different footprint, and probably are of inferior quality.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Dubl Post ®
Last edited by jingle_jangle on Wed May 14, 2008 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

No question that Icons, being made in China to a different price point are not as good as "real" Hofners. I can see how my answer above could be taken as implying that Icon pickups would fit a 500/1, but that was not my intention. I meant that later pickups would fit the bass in question.

Thanks for the pickup tip, Dirk. My experience with these (except for refinishing them!) is limited.

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”