Re: New trend??? butchered 620!

Post by rickenmetal »

by "hot" I meant stolen.
grazioso
Intermediate Member

Post by grazioso »

gibsonlp wrote:
grazioso wrote:hey paul !well sgi was the coolest ever that is for sure before they went to experiments with micro$oft and intel. btw u got 1600sw there? (still the best panel on the market 10 years after its release) if not you should try it it is 1600x1024_60 and best best best and they go for like $100 on ebay the only drawback is proprietory interface. i use them for all my work beside some rgb _s for that i still have sgi big tube.
Actually - the 1600sw was a nice LCD 10 years ago, but it is definitely not the BEST panel now, any panel (especially IPS/S-IPS) today will be better in every parameter, Don't forget that the 1600sw is a TN (!) panel which is the "worst" panel in terms of color and viewing angle. Add 40ms response time and you get a very bad monitor (in today's terms).
As for the tube SGI monitors - these are simply OEM Sony Trinitron monitors, we had them in the army unit where I served around 1999/2000. We also had Sun and IBM monitors, all 21" CRT, all the same spec, same image and even same operation menu... Great CRT monitors though...
well i have to make myself clear - what constitutes best monitor for me:
1) i can sit in front of it all day long without tears coming out, i work in 2d so response is no issue for me, i have one viewing angle so i don't care.
2) it is NOT made in china
3) it still works like new after 10+ years of major abuse in hostile places and extensive travel and after being knocked over multiple times by my cats or kids and once by hostile rodent in my garage down on concrete floor from the stand 6 feet above it.
4) it costs next to nothing so if i need spare one i can just get one
5) it doesn't take much space
6) it works with sgi o2 @ 1600x1024 which i still use for similar reasons
dusan palka who is also known as grazioso on infamous auction web site
if you want to reach the man and expect an answer please make sure you remove this email address (dusan@palka.com) from your spam block if you have one.
cmatthes

Post by cmatthes »

I've actually spoken to one of the sellers who sells parted out guitars (again, mostly Fenders) on eBay. He makes almost 2xs what he makes in a year in his parts auctions as he does selling straight guitars. He said that he can count on his fingers the number of times a part hasn't hit what he had in mind as a minimum. He has also sold necks for nearly as much as the straight guitars sell for.

It's crazy, and I never thought I'd see somebody do that with a Rick, but the guy selling these parts also parts out new and used Gibsons, so who knows? :shock:
grazioso
Intermediate Member

Post by grazioso »

yeah i guess we have to get used to it - and - if it means we can get more tailpieces & trcs and other "restricted parts " for our broken rics i guess that's good deed after all to part one out :-) now observe that this guy took it down when it didn't go to his taste price wise.
if you want to reach the man and expect an answer please make sure you remove this email address (dusan@palka.com) from your spam block if you have one.
Darkhollow

Post by Darkhollow »

Only problem I have with this is that the jack plate doesn't stay with the guitar body really. It robs the guitar of its identity if they are sold to separate people and gives another guitar a sense of a false origin.

Seems he put the items back up as well:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... %3D2&fgtp=
grazioso
Intermediate Member

Post by grazioso »

well it doesn't bother me much i feel that the guitar id is clear even without stamped and numbered jack plate. oh i wish they would bring back those jack plates stamped xx on both sides. anybody has one please?
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I have never understood why Rickenbacker has placed the only legal way to positively identify what year, model, and if it's authentic on a piece that is easily removed and faked. Look at that naked body( :lol: don't even think about it scotty! :lol: ), how can you prove legally that it is a rick? For all you know, it's a fake(and maybe even a good one), and how could you really tell? If you found out it was not real somewhere down the road, you would have little, or no recourse, as the seller would claim "that's what the guy I got it from said" and "why did you wait 3 months(or whenever you really find out) to contact me?" What a potential nightmare that could be!

Most of us like to believe we are able to recognize a fake naked Rick body, but really, unless you've built/rebuilt/repaired them extensively, you could be fooled. Just look at some of those Les Paul and Strat fakers out there that have gotten by some pretty reputable folks.

I just don't like the whole "parting out" deal, it's like your removing the soul of the instrument to me. It's one thing to have parts you don't use to get rid of, but to take a fully functional work of art like a Rick and part it out somehow cheapens the whole deal, and to me, almost seems diabolical. It's like the instrument never had a chance to live. I may be a bit off my nut, but I think this whole parting out thing is wrong.

Now, you folks that have no other resources to get some parts for your still manufactured instrument, take that up with RIC, who I feel,is in far greater danger of getting the market flooded with fakes by these folks who take new production instruments, and part them out. Other than some of it's pickups, "R" tailpiece, and TRC, I believe RIC boutique has about everything else for sale, if of course, given the chance that it might actually be "in stock". Hopefully, as the backlog gets knocked out, these items will be more readily available.
scotty

Post by scotty »

whojamfan wrote: I may be a bit off my nut

My lips are sealed :roll:
rickenmetal

Post by rickenmetal »

I doubt it's fake, because I have never heard of any copies of the 620/12, especially with the 2 truss rods.

I have seen a couple of 1960s Fender which look really suspicious, perfect finish, look brand new, they said original finish. Maybe they were kept in the case, but it's very suspicious. And it really isn't that hard to forge the Fender scribblings and stamps

The thing with that guy with the 620 is that I think that guitar was up several times because no one wants to pay a lot. And he has the nerve to call it a project when truss rod covers and tailpieces are so hard to get.
BlueAngel

Post by BlueAngel »

One reason parting out is done is because if there is a bidder who wants to put the guitar back together - which seems to be a natural instinct among guitar buffs - they have to bid absolutely top dollar on every single part to make sure they get all of them. This means that the parts will likely sell for a lot more than the complete guitar, and even though this is illogical since the buyer could just get a complete guitar for less without going to all that trouble, for some reason it seems to work, especially with things like vintage Fenders... oddly, since they were really 'factory assembled kits' in the first place and no two parts were specifically manufactured to go together, but people seem to believe that it's more 'original' to have one that left the factory all in the same case rather than one put together from pieces of the same age later.

If you really want to see a butchered 620 - or actually a 610, but the seller doesn't seem to know that - have a look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=017
Darkhollow

Post by Darkhollow »

This guy is nuts. He has now chopped 3 fairly recent Rics. The latest being a 2008.

Body:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rickenbacker-2008-J ... dZViewItem

Jackplate:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rickenbacker-2008-C ... dZViewItem

What an odd way to make a living.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

*Wince*

"How many of you out there have always wanted to build yourselves that awesome project guitar, but didn’t want to spend the money on a guitar only to dismantle it. Well, here is your opportunity do so. I sell guitar parts and project guitars specifically for the purpose of building your own custom guitar. Who says Fender has to be the only good project brand out there. My goal is to change that myth by offering quality guitar projects and parts to those of you who want to create that ultimate dream guitar."
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Well, well, well...I read your post Mr. Powell. I'd wince, too.

My project guitar? They already build 'em, so why should I bother? I think they're called Ricken....somethingeranother. Anyhoo, I heard George Harrison used to play one of those geetars with the German sounding name. Can't quite remember what it was, though. :mrgreen:

JimK
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

wooly wrote:I like the idea.
There were times when I wanted just one part, but didn't want to buy the whole guitar or spend the retail price for the part.
Part of it is psychological.
If you think you're getting a deal on a Ric body at $400. you'll get it.
But you can easily forget the price to get the rest of the parts to complete it.
Does the final price of the parts surpass the price of a whole guitar?
If you can't get all the parts that are bid on, then those will have to be found somewhere else.
What seems like a deal now, seldom seems to end up as one.
If I wanted a whole guitar, I'd buy the whole guitar.
It seems that, individually, some parts are a great deal.
My verdict is a positive one.
Miguel-

I think I understand where you are coming from, re: cheap parts, but it's painful to see a work of art like a Rickenbacker guitar being so unappreciated for what it is and what it could mean to a potential owner. Someone who immediately strips the instrument and auctions its parts has no respect for Rickenbacker craftsmanship and is just looking to maximize resale profit, IMHO.
Darkhollow

Post by Darkhollow »

Is there any way to identify the serial number on the body without the jack plate? I know the cavity usually has model / color codes.

To each their own, I question whether this brings in more money or not. I haven't seen any of these parts go for more than market value. The only hard to obtain items are the tail piece and the TRC really. Well, the body as well I suppose...

Lets look at his last chop job: (might be missing something)

2000 620 FG:

Body- 675
Bridge- 52.40
Tuners- 66.99
Jack plate-88.90
Case 114.49
Case Candy- 26.52
Harness- 104.40
Pickguard- 61.07
HG Bridge PU- 92
HG Neck PU- 41
TRC- 161.69

Total $1484.46

Probably could have gotten that without taking it apart and paying numerous listing and paypal fees.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”