The Smiths-This Charming man

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

mikethemod1992

The Smiths-This Charming man

Post by mikethemod1992 »

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kGnjrTkv1gs&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kGnjrTkv1gs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

all time favourite smiths tune!
"One Chord is fine, two chords is pushing it, three chords and youre into jazz!"
-Lou Reed
scotty

Re: The Smiths-This Charming man

Post by scotty »

Mike that is my second all time smiths my first is this one! probably one of the best songs written in the 80`s
indianation65

Post by indianation65 »

Mr. P. Morrissey is an incredibly morose/melancholy lyricist, (an everyday man writing about the mundane mannerisms and experiences of man's every day), and I can't imagine the Smiths without him. His constant "man" lyrics always sortof bugged me, but I overcame. If J. M. can ignore the vegetarianism of the band, I can overcome the man-ism of Morrissey. This band almost charmed the pants off me! Good stuff...
Addendum: Any mistakes in the previous text I ask forgiveness...not that I expect it. The Natives Have Spoken!
Indian Folklore and Wisdom—Love, Learn, Listen
indianation65

Post by indianation65 »

Addendum II: "Hand in Glove" is my favorite, followed by the power of "Handsome Devil" and "London"...

...wisdom
Indian Folklore and Wisdom—Love, Learn, Listen
mikethemod1992

Post by mikethemod1992 »

i love all of their stuff, i cant think of a bad song from them
"One Chord is fine, two chords is pushing it, three chords and youre into jazz!"
-Lou Reed
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

I partied with them in some high rise hotel in Boston in the 80's. We ordered veggie pizza and tossed the inner frizbie things out the 20th story or more window when we were done. Maybe not as rock n roll as nailing furniture to the ceiling or Zappa's mud shark incident, but it was fun.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I'm still not sure I fully "get it", but my favorite is probably "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others".
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

indianation66 wrote:Mr. P. Morrissey is an incredibly morose/melancholy lyricist, (an everyday man writing about the mundane mannerisms and experiences of man's every day), and I can't imagine the Smiths without him. His constant "man" lyrics always sortof bugged me, but I overcame. If J. M. can ignore the vegetarianism of the band, I can overcome the man-ism of Morrissey. This band almost charmed the pants off me! Good stuff...
Addendum: Any mistakes in the previous text I ask forgiveness...not that I expect it. The Natives Have Spoken!
Mr. S. P. Morrissey?
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

sloop_john_b wrote:I'm still not sure I fully "get it", but my favorite is probably "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others".
John, I'm with you there too. Sorta, hypnotic and definitely something in it for everyone.
chucksimms
Veteran RRF member

Post by chucksimms »

So many great tracks, especially the early stuff. I had the first few singles before the first album came out and played them nonstop. When the first LP and 'Hatful of Hollow' came out I was working at a record store and played them so much that the records were pulled from the play pile by the demands of my co-workers! 'What Difference Does It Make?' is in my top three for Smiths tunes as well (with 'This Charming Man' and 'How Soon is Now').

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”