Re: Talk me out of selling my 360-12, to get a Trek 7.5 FX

Post by beatlefreak »

A Trek 7.5 FX will never jangle...
Ka is a wheel.
rob_u
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob_u »

okay, I expected most everyone here to tell me to keep the RIC, but I didn't expect half of the bike forum people to tell me that as well. Every time I think about my RIC when it's in the case, I consider selling it, but as soon as I take it out - it looks at me with that one big cat-eye, and I can't do it. So I guess no new bike this spring. I guess I'll have to train hard so that I can do a couple of 100 mile rides my comfort bike - they say it's like going 130 on a road or hybrid.

By the way, I guess electrics are "cooler" but I play my acoustics WAY more, and they would be the last to go!

And yes, there are only 7 months of bicycle weather in Michigan, and only 3 GOOD months!
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

And you'll always have 12 good months of Rickenbacker weather.
Ka is a wheel.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

And you'll always have 12 good months of Rickenbacker weather.
Kris: Agreed. The very point I was attempting to make.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
billydlight

Post by billydlight »

get one of these:

you can ride it AND play your Ric at the same time! :lol:
ricardo_vicente

Post by ricardo_vicente »

jingle_jangle wrote:Can you play "Mr. Tammbourine Man" on any bike?
Yes, pretty much any as long as you can ride no-handed.

Alternate answer ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izDvYokFU7U
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ya just gotta love ol' Frank...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rob_u
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob_u »

jingle_jangle wrote:Can you play "Mr. Tammbourine Man" on any bike?
Yes! But you have to tune the spokes JUST right! :lol:
wj350
Advanced Member

Post by wj350 »

Rob, I get your conundrum--another Trek bike fan here as well.

One thing I'll mention though, the $900 price you mention for the 7.5FX is suggested retail I think--you should be able to find that bike for less in a LBS. I've got it's baby brother, the 7.3FX and paid around $100-$150 less than Treks suggested retail, IIRC. The FXs are great bikes BTW.

Having said that, I tend to focus more on your statement that you'd likely never replace your Ric if you sell it. I feel the same way...I owned a handful of Rics at one point, but couldn't justify keeping them, so I sold most of them off. I've still got two, and I keep them not only because they're fun to play (even occasionally), but like you, I doubt I'd justify spending the coin to replace them at this point. We all know you can never say never, but I empathize with your thoughts on that.

One other thought for you on the bike--as posted above, bike technology changes quite a bit, although not all that dramatically--it's more like finer nuances of proven, roadworn technology. You might want to consider hunting the used ads for a year or two old bike.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide!

Bill
"Let me take you down...'cause I'm going to...."
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

rob_u wrote: I don't record with the RIC anymore, have never played it at church, and only occasionally get it out to play about 9 songs.
Here's the nut of your problem. 9 songs? Explore with your 12 string. Bond with it. You'll quickly find a 360/12 is a lot more versatile than you imagined. And why not use it at church? It sounds like a choir of angels, all by itself.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
schoolside

Post by schoolside »

Several years ago I sold my only Ric, a 360/12V65MG for $800.00. About a year later I came down with a bad case of Ric fever, that put me on a three year quest to undo my foolish mistake. Now( 2)-360/12's, (2) 330's, a 360 and a 381V69 later I'm very happy with the way things turned out.

Yes, you should sell it. It's a good way to find out if it means anything to you. :wink:
dph

Post by dph »

A few years ago I sold my beloved '87 Ric 330 to buy mountain bikes for my family.

I've since figured out that:
1. You don't need an expensive bike to enjoy biking.
2. It's very difficult to replace a great guitar.
3. Good guitar appreciates in value, bikes depreciate.

If you don't like the guitar, sell it off to a good home and buy a guitar you do love. But don't don't sell a guitar you love, or even like, to buy something that will be worth $200 in four years.
Len

Post by Len »

I don't think that you have a bad idea. I'm afflicted with both guitar and bicycle acquisition syndromes. Over 25 years I have gone from one bicycle, eight guitars, and two basses to twelve bicycles and no guitars, to the present six bicycles and five guitars. If I could swing the trade I would swap my Rivendell fixed gear and a peavey T-60 for a 360/12 or some version of a 325. Then I would feel balanced. For now.

You can always get another guitar, but if you miss out on riding those rides with your friends this summer you will regret it for longer I think. If anything, I would talk you out of the Trek. For your riding check out a surly long haul trucker. PM me if you want to talk bikes or riding in Michigan.

Len
grazioso
Intermediate Member

Post by grazioso »

it was in 2001. my friend sold his 93' 330/12fg to buy mountain bike for his wife for xmass. two weeks later she got hit by beer delivery truck in mission district in sf - she was ok beside some minor scrapes but guess what - he was quite sorry for selling that ric.

if you do not play that 360-12 enough maybe you do want to experiment with other 12 string guitars - e.g. 660/12 or 620/12 if it is not the solidbody instead that is the ric for you. when you at it try some 25.5 scale 12 string electric - maybe it's the scale that is problem for you too. i have periods when i can't play shorter scale guitars and so i have burns double six for that case.
dusan palka who is also known as grazioso on infamous auction web site
if you want to reach the man and expect an answer please make sure you remove this email address (dusan@palka.com) from your spam block if you have one.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

So Rob, after three days, what's the verdict? Have you been talked out of selling your Rick yet? Inquiring minds....and all that.
JimK

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”