The sound of Rickenbacker pickups

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

pocaloc

The sound of Rickenbacker pickups

Post by pocaloc »

I'm sure this is an old topic, but I couldn't find an easy way of finding what I wanted to know. Do Rickenbacker pickups have more midrange? I know they have the chimey jingle jangle, but are they overly trebly? I had a highway one tele, and the bridge pickup was so trebly that it felt like it was going to destroy my ears. I like a chiming sound, but not to much treble. Was just looking for a short hand 'cheat sheet' on what the various Rickenbcaker guitar pickups sound like as compared to the chime of other jangly guitars like tele's or Strat's, etc.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: The sound of Rickenbacker pickups

Post by jimk »

Cheers,
JimK
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

pocaloc wrote:I'm sure this is an old topic, but I couldn't find an easy way of finding what I wanted to know. Do Rickenbacker pickups have more midrange? I know they have the chimey jingle jangle, but are they overly trebly? I had a highway one tele, and the bridge pickup was so trebly that it felt like it was going to destroy my ears. I like a chiming sound, but not to much treble.
I understand what you're saying, but the tone controls on your amp couldn't compensate?
Ka is a wheel.
pocaloc

Post by pocaloc »

They probably could. I should mention that my main instrument is drums..... :lol:

I was just wondering if in general Rickenbacker pickups were known for more midrange vs. say telecaster, which might be known for more treble.
chuck_king

Post by chuck_king »

As a very rough and general characterization, I would put Rick pickups somewhere on the continuum between Fender single coils and P-90s: not as bright and trebly as a Tele or Strat pickup, but not as much mid-range grunt as a P-90. Among Rick pickups, toasters are treblier and Hi-Gains are more midrangey compared to each other.

It sounds like you'd probably be happy with Hi-Gains.
pocaloc

Post by pocaloc »

chuck_king wrote:As a very rough and general characterization, I would put Rick pickups somewhere on the continuum between Fender single coils and P-90s: not as bright and trebly as a Tele or Strat pickup, but not as much mid-range grunt as a P-90. Among Rick pickups, toasters are treblier and Hi-Gains are more midrangey compared to each other.

It sounds like you'd probably be happy with Hi-Gains.
Thanks for the info. That continuum was exactly what I was looking for.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”