Rickenbacker + Amplifiers

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

refin

Re: Rickenbacker + Amplifiers

Post by refin »

grazioso wrote:super reverb, bassman
I agree.......... :wink:
I have a '59 Bassman that is (forgive me for this worn out phrase) complex in tonality.Once I got the caps and speakers taken care of,every guitar in my collection sounds great and honest through it.A total historical accident,Leo was shooting for a bass amp :lol: .
The clarity is unmistakable-----but just like a Super Reverb,there is something about approx. 40 watts of Fender power through 4-10".
sys700

Post by sys700 »

I play my Rics through a '63 AC-15 Twin, '66 Fender blackface Super Reverb, '76 Fender Twin Reverb, and an early 80's JC-120. They sound great through all of them but the Super is my favorite of the lot and I can get close to the VOX sparkly clean tone with the Super. When hooked up in stereo with the VOX it's perfect. Sometimes it takes a combination of amps to get the perfect tone. Some people make fun of my JC-120 but it's good for certain things and I usually blend a little of it in as well.
1964 FireGlo 330S (domestic 1997 w/trapeze)
1966 FireGlo 335
1966 FireGlo 330/12
1966 FireGlo 330/12 (Paul W. 360/12OS conversion)
1968 FireGlo 360F
1972 FireGlo 4001
1973 FireGlo 4001
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Dr. Z Prescription or Prescription Jr. Awesome cleans. Handwired construction, so can be a bit pricey, but not really for what you get. Less expensive than AC30s of the same construction type. Fab amp for any Ric.

Egnater Rebel 30 head through 2X10 or 2X12 cab - clean channel is beautiful with the gain up to 12:00, gets crunchy after that, but the mid position on the tube selection dial is heaven with a Ric. The OD channel is fab with toasters too. Both channels are stunning with hi-gains. And it has an effects loop. Price is perfect for the tone. I have become a huge fan of these amps.

Roland Jazz Chorus amps for ultra clean tones with toasters or hi-gains.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

I have two amps that works for me. First is a Silver-Faced Deluxe Reverb with an Altec 417-8H speaker. Second, is 2x10 Victoria Victoriette.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
chuck_king

Post by chuck_king »

It's old and uncommon, but something to think about: LAB Series L5. A great sounding amp, with a built-in compressor! I have one and I think it works really well with my 360 with Hi Gains.
robbo63

Post by robbo63 »

I am very happy with my Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber for sparkling cleans.
Jimmy-Jim-Jim

Post by Jimmy-Jim-Jim »

I have to agree with some of the early comments, Ricks in general sound best through solid state amps, they don't really suit the warm valve sound, but I don't think that they suit the post 80s ultra clean hi fi type amps either. I use some old tranny Fenders and HH's, both have excellent reverbs, and that is all you need.
mike fried

Post by mike fried »

Have you tried different speakers and/or power tubes in your Music Man? They make a world of difference in any amp, and will affect your tone, headroom, and overall response greatly. JBL-style speakers such as Weber VST Cali's will give you a lot less grind and "color" than the stock Eminence-made Music Man speakers. If you're running Euro-type EL34 power tubes, changing to American-style 6CA7s or 6550's will yield more headroom as well.
fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

I'm another Fender Super Reverb/Rickenbacker fan. I use a '71 model for most gigs. I've also recorded with another fave, a '78 Fender Princeton Reverb (not quite powerful enough for gigs, but a WONDERFUL recording amp!) I've also used my wife's Laney GC30V (30 watts, 2X10" speakers) for some performances with fabulous results. Of course ANYTHING you put a Rick through sounds pretty darned good to me!
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

These two.
JimK
Attachments
Mid-'60s Kustom solid state receives the signal from the bridge pickup
Mid-'60s Kustom solid state receives the signal from the bridge pickup
Music Man amp receives the signal from the neck pickup
Music Man amp receives the signal from the neck pickup
tracy
Veteran RRF member

Post by tracy »

Early Vox AC-15 (1-12), best guitar amp ever, or most any Bad Cat. Smokin'!
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

My favorite amp for my 330/12 is my Mesa "Blue Angel" 2 X 10 combo. It's sort of a Deluxe Reverb/AC-30 hybrid with 2-6V6's and 4-EL84's in the power section with a tube rectifier. The pre-amp is 12AT7's and 12AX7's in a very Blackface Fender layout with a full-size Accutronics reverb tank.
The power amp can run in Class A on the 6V6's alone (22 watts), the EL-84's (30 watts), or my favorite-both simultaneously (33 watts). To me, the combined setting yields a "Vibrolux on steroids" or "bright AC-30" vibe. I also like the "Jr. version"; the 15 watt Subway Blues.
All of my other amps are in the "clean" Fender camp-several Music Mans (Men?), a Carvin X-60 with an EVM 12L, and a BF Showman and 15" Tone Ring cab. Honestly, the Ric sounds good through all of them.
octagon

Post by octagon »

This wouldn't make a good match?

Len

Post by Len »

I have a Carr Vincent that is clean and jangly with a great reverb. It has the ability for some Deluxe crunch too if you want it. The Carr Rambler is even more clean and loud and it has tremolo.
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

collin wrote:
grazioso wrote:...and let's not avoid some good old marshall,orange, hiwatt amps, sound city...and their modern clones mostly represented by 18watt movement
+1

I'm in the "non-jangling" minority, I like some crunch.
+1
Think The Smithereens, The Romantics...
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”