New Baby - needs a little TLC

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bge66

Re: New Baby - needs a little TLC

Post by bge66 »

Ok - another quick question - finally got around to checking the neck PU - measures 6.95K. Seen posts that indicate that anything under 8K is problematic -

Should I consider rewinding? Leave it as it is? Get a set of new (albeit higher gain) PU's? Or hunt down the mythical Sergio?
thedanielwilliams

Post by thedanielwilliams »

bge66 wrote:I'm just happy to have a 4001 again - :D
Right on. It's a beautiful bass.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

bge66 wrote:Ok - another quick question - finally got around to checking the neck PU - measures 6.95K. Seen posts that indicate that anything under 8K is problematic -

Should I consider rewinding? Leave it as it is? Get a set of new (albeit higher gain) PU's? Or hunt down the mythical Sergio?
Brad, If it has full sounding output, tone wise, I would think the pickup coil is fine. I believe back at this time coils could be all over the place as far as what they were wound to - 7-8.5k would be the range. If it sounds right, I wouldn't worry.
bge66

Post by bge66 »

Thanks for the advice - after I posted I kind of realized the stupidity of the question - if it sounds good, then it ain't broke. :D
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

bge66 wrote:Thanks for the advice - after I posted I kind of realized the stupidity of the question - if it sounds good, then it ain't broke. :D
Not a stupid question at all. That is why I was careful to say if it sounds good/right. If it was partially shorted it could sound thin or tonally compromised. Ya done good. :wink:

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”