Looking for the owner of my Dads old Rickenbacker

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

heavytimes10

Looking for the owner of my Dads old Rickenbacker

Post by heavytimes10 »

In 1962 my father bought a Fireglo 460. Its serial # is BG161 and is registered on this site. I would be interested in talking to the current owner to see if they would be interested in selling it or if they wanted to sell in the future, perhaps they would contact me. This guitar was used in my dads band "The Enchanters" circa "64-"66. He was in a financial pinch and made a split second decision to sell....to his unyielding regret. Any information of the current owner would be incredible. it was purchased at Elderlys in Michigan sometime between 2003 and 2006 and according to this site resides in michigan.

thanks for your interest,

Matt
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: Looking for the owner of my Dads old Rickenbacker

Post by cjj »

Matt, welcome to the RRF!

As for your dad's guitar, the listing in the register shows this as a "CI" which means someone "collected" it from a public source such as ebay, an online retailer, or a store, etc. The comments look like it was collected from Elderly's site.

So, unfortunately, there's a good chance that nobody on the forum owns it, but you never know, perhaps they just didn't update the entry. Good luck in your search!
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Matt, I was hot on the trail of that guitar when I saw it on Elderly's website. I called and they told me that they had already sold it to someone in.....Japan. Apparently, this collector likes RICs and they let him know that they had a nice one and it was gone by the time it hit the internet. Thats the story that was given to me when I inquired about it. :roll:
heavytimes10

Post by heavytimes10 »

Thank you for the info and the welcome.
heavytimes10

Post by heavytimes10 »

Japan? oh wow. looks like dads gonna have to live without it.

s#%$
apossibleworld

Post by apossibleworld »

You could always contact Elderly and see if they'd be willing to act as an intermediary, to contact the person they sold it to, for potential re-sale. But that would probably end up getting expensive.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Your dad's guitar was a 1962. There are two 460s for sale at Olivia's Vintage -- a '61 and a '63, both in Fireglo. They have had these guitars for awhile and may be willing to deal. If your dad can't get his original guitar back, one of these may be the next best thing. He may enjoy looking at the photos, anyway, as OV generally has pretty good photography. Their website is http://www.oliviasvintageguitars.com

PS Their website may be temporarily down now. I can't access it. There are also some 460s with photos on the Register, including the two 460s at Olivia's, which are listed there as collected items (Illinois): http://www.rickresource.com/register/in ... celebrity=
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

apossibleworld wrote:You could always contact Elderly and see if they'd be willing to act as an intermediary, to contact the person they sold it to, for potential re-sale. But that would probably end up getting expensive.
True enough though you will never know unless you ask! There is also a 50/50 chance that it sold to a Japanese dealer which would likely be easier transaction-wise but not so favorable $$$-wise.
guitar-murph

Post by guitar-murph »

If you are truly interested in obtaining one of these models, I might be induced to sell you mine. Listed on the RRF Registry as follows:
http://rickresource.com/register/viewit ... 6order%3D5

It is a 61' from the first year of production; one number off from the one offered at Oliviasvintage.com, and I will sell for cheaper than their asking price. However, these are pretty rare so this does not mean that it will go cheap.
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

More food for thought - you could arrange to contact the Japanese owner of your dad's ex-460 and see if he'd be interested in willing to trade his '62 for a '61. Either option you have on a '61 could serve as bargaining power to get the original guitar back without having to dig exceptionally deep.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”