Model Identification

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

guitar-murph

Model Identification

Post by guitar-murph »

Hi,

Several months ago I acquired a 1965 model 615 in black. In fact, it is listed on the registry here:
http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... 6order%3D5

As you can see in the photos, not only has the back been sanded down, but there have been numerous other modifications made. Unfortunately, much of the value of this item as a collectible model has been impacted, but I decided to try and restore it back to it's original state as much as possible. The guitar is now in the hands of my favorite luthier for just this purpose.

When the luthier removed the pickguards he pointed out the model identification which was written inside.....'615-D.' I am aware that the internal markings placed in the factory do not always correspond to the model of the finished product. In this case, however, I am puzzled about the 'D' added to the model name as I have never heard of any Rickenbacker model number which had a 'D' in it.

Prior to sending the guitar to the luthier, I acquired an authentic Rickenbacker accent vibrato assembly to install. I added this part myself prior to shipping the guitar for it's restoration. I was surprised to see that the bracket for the vibrato unit did not fit on top of the body as expected. Instead, I got the same result as if I had taken a guitar which was originally drilled for an 'R' or trapeze type tailpiece.

I am not aware of any model 610's being produced during the early to mid 60's, and I though the '5' at the end of the model number indicated that it originally would have come with an accent vibrato. So now I am thinking that either the accent vibrato from that period (not the original ac'cent by Paul) is different from the modern ones, or that perhaps that it came with one of the funky type vibrato units such as those used on some 425 models.

Does the 'D' added to the 615 model designation mean anything to anyone here?
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Re: Model Identification

Post by deaconblues »

The position of the hole in the Ac'cent has definitely changed over the years.

Maybe an adapter would help? Check out the bottom of this page:

http://www.winfieldvintage.com/parts/end-hooks.html
guitar-murph

Post by guitar-murph »

Yes, I have seen the modified type brackets as sold by Winfield. They are basically sold to accomodate the transition from an R tailpiece over to an accent tailpiece. It looks like my choice will be to either get one of these brackets or to drill a new hole. I just hate to replace half of the vibrato assembly that I already paid for.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Terry, that letter doesn't mean anything about the model. It was only of use by a worker while being built.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Terry, you can always sell the vibrato parts you already have again, you can't undrill a hole...
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”