"Can't you smell that smell?"

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Re: "Can't you smell that smell?"

Post by beatbyrd »

rickenbrother wrote:I've got SKB cases that smell like vanilla, chocolate, fruit cocktail, one smells like shoe polish and another smells just like the case that my brother's '66 Gibson Firebird came in.
This sounds like a drive down the Jersey Turnpike during the summer. You left out the exits that smell like bubblegum, turpentine, and rancid cheese, though. I think they might be farther south.

And please, if anyone's **** is ticking, don't try to get past TSA. They'll close down the entire airport. They've been trained to know that things start ticking right before they go off. Or maybe, they just want a look. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

beatbyrd wrote:
rickenbrother wrote:I've got SKB cases that smell like vanilla, chocolate, fruit cocktail, one smells like shoe polish and another smells just like the case that my brother's '66 Gibson Firebird came in.
This sounds like a drive down the Jersey Turnpike during the summer. You left out the exits that smell like bubblegum, turpentine, and rancid cheese, though.
Anytime I'd drive on I-95 The Turmpike as just before it becomes the Turnpike) in northern NJ, it always stunk really bad! :shock:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
bosco64
Veteran RRF member

Post by bosco64 »

rickenbrother wrote:
beatbyrd wrote:
This sounds like a drive down the Jersey Turnpike during the summer. You left out the exits that smell like bubblegum, turpentine, and rancid cheese, though.
Anytime I'd drive on I-95 The Turmpike as just before it becomes the Turnpike) in northern NJ, it always stunk really bad! :shock:
When I go home I take the exit on the Turnpike that smells like bubble gum... :lol:
"Keep smiling, keep your mouth shut, and nobody gets hurt!" :mrgreen:
Don't bust Mike's chops...
'05 4003 BBR; '99 4001V63 FG; '96 4003S Trans Blue (custom refin from Paul W.)
Scotty_Guitar

Post by Scotty_Guitar »

Thanks for letting me know (privately) what the error of my ways was!! VERY embarrassing!Very happy to be of service, and amuse the great unwashed! I'll add more comments as fodder for insult...

Thanks also for the ideas to contact the store where purchased, RIC, and SKB, and probably in that order.

I have a few days trial left with this 4003... Would any of you swap strings and set it up to try it "your way?" I'm on the fence about it... Although the neck is "shallower" than the '08 JG I had before this one, it is still quite wide (nut width)...
“John always played like it was his last day on the planet.” Ringo Star
philhowes

Post by philhowes »

I don't know what is causing the odour in your case - but I recently purchased a Washburn Rover travel guitar for my wife - came with a case - but discovered when I got home that the case had an extremely offensive odour. Apparently it is a known issue as I found when I did a search on it. It seemed to be coming from the straps that were supplied with the case - maybe a really bad batch of adhesive that was used to glue the plastic imitation rubber and imitation leather on the straps - or something like that.

Threw the straps outside where they still are 4 weeks later and they still smell!

Sprayed a lot of fabreze in the case for days afterwards - did the trick.
suedehead71

Post by suedehead71 »

Scotty_Guitar wrote:Has anyone bought a 2011 or 2010 Ricky and it smelled like gasoline, or some other nasty chemical smell?

I just received a 4003 FG, and it smells awful!!!! Not like the last Rick at all! I want to send it back just for that reason!!

Please speak up quickly, as the clock is ticking...

Thanks!
VERY bizarre--way back in the mid 90's i bought a Rick 650 Colorado, and darned if it didn't smell like gasoline!! i think it was the case interior that had the scent. none of the 4 other Ricks i've owned had the scent. weird...i thought it was some strange factory fluke, but read your post and had to reply!
i will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed, or numbered.
Scotty_Guitar

Post by Scotty_Guitar »

suedehead71 wrote:
Scotty_Guitar wrote:Has anyone bought a 2011 or 2010 Ricky and it smelled like gasoline, or some other nasty chemical smell?

I just received a 4003 FG, and it smells awful!!!! Not like the last Rick at all! I want to send it back just for that reason!!

Please speak up quickly, as the clock is ticking...

Thanks!
VERY bizarre--way back in the mid 90's i bought a Rick 650 Colorado, and darned if it didn't smell like gasoline!! i think it was the case interior that had the scent. none of the 4 other Ricks i've owned had the scent. weird...i thought it was some strange factory fluke, but read your post and had to reply!
So, what did YOU do? Ask the case manufacturer to replace the case?
“John always played like it was his last day on the planet.” Ringo Star
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

What Svott could be smelling is the guitar itelf. When I got my 75th Anniversary 330, the music store unsealed the box and opened the case in front of me. The case was on the floor and I was standing up. I was immediately confronted with a VERY strong chemical smell, like the solvent in the paint or clearcoat hadn't finished outgassing. It was so strong I thought, "I'm glad there isn't an open flame around". I half exprcted the finish to still be tacky (it wasn't). The good news is, the smell decreased each day and was gone in about a month.

It wasn't the case, as it had the pleasant vanilla smell.
Ka is a wheel.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

When I got my 360 2nd hand the case had been in storage for about a year - it smelled like paint had been spilled in it.
I left it also to air for about a month and it was gone.

I would never use something like febreze which are basically chemicals that camouflage most smells, or react (badly) with it. Neither is a good idea, and it's bad for your respiratory system as well!
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

beatlefreak wrote:What Svott could be smelling is the guitar itelf. When I got my 75th Anniversary 330, the music store unsealed the box and opened the case in front of me. The case was on the floor and I was standing up. I was immediately confronted with a VERY strong chemical smell, like the solvent in the paint or clearcoat hadn't finished outgassing...It wasn't the case, as it had the pleasant vanilla smell.
Hmmm. My 75th Ann 4003 has a sickly sweet chemical odor, but I'd say 99% that it's the case, not the bass. Then again, my 4003FL has nothing like this, so maybe it's just the frets.
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

coolhandjjl wrote:
Scotty_Guitar wrote:Has anyone bought a 2011 or 2010 Ricky..........
And please, no 'Ricky'. Bad enough the Brits use it.
Do we, what all of us?
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

godber wrote:
coolhandjjl wrote:
Scotty_Guitar wrote:Has anyone bought a 2011 or 2010 Ricky..........
And please, no 'Ricky'. Bad enough the Brits use it.
Do we, what all of us?
Well, we will from now on. :wink:
scotty

Post by scotty »

Absolutely
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Scotty, how are those Rickys of yours doing?

On the issue of the 75th Rickys, the early production paint was known for its nasty smell and long degass time. The color was reformulated quickly and ceased to be an issue with painters, RIC personnel and players.

Izzat Bianca in your avatar, you nasty man?
scotty

Post by scotty »

My 06 BBR 330 smells the best.Thanks for asking. :lol: sure is Paul......Rickyyyyyyyyyy

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”