Recommended amplifier for 12 string

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Jonesey

Re: Recommended amplifier for 12 string

Post by Jonesey »

I recommend 60's solid state Vox as Defiant, Conqueror or probably one of their American cousins from the same era.
They can be picked up in good condition for the same price as a new AC30. You can play really loud while keeping the clean tone. In addition they got the fuzz sounds from '67/'68 Beatles, a nice tremelo, a weird and interesting effect called Mid Range Boost and a somehow noisy reverb. All in all a great sounding, reliable and very versatile amp.
I find my Defiant a bit too bassy for my 330/6 with high-gains, but problem is usually solved by taking the bass to two or three. Suppose you won't have the same problem with toasters.
It's by far the best solid state amp I've ever tried. But the Fender amps mentioned by others is great for clean tones too and so is the AC30 - also the Chinese ones. If you don't need that much volume an AC15 might be worth a try too.
I've tried a smaller Jazz Chorus and think it sounded too cold, but McGuinn's got a nice sound so try one for yourself.
dylumph

Post by dylumph »

After many years of searching I've had to come up with several set-ups. I play all kinds of venues so I variate amps. I had to get a common ground cause I use Gibson 6 stringers and the Ric 12. I know this is blasphemous but I shelved my Janglebox 1 for a Keeley compressor (just my taste). Since I play a Ric my amps have to have headroom so I have to use stompboxes ie. OCD, tremelo,delay etc. mainly for the 6 strings.
In small places I use a 59 bassman reissue. Great amp, light, reliable, and full sounding.
Bigger clubs I'll use a AC 30 TBX with blues and maybe a 4x12 fane loaded Hiwatt cabinet. The only thing that ever happened with the Korg Vox is the rectifier tube went out after 10 years of lots of playing.
Outside on a big stage its Hiwatt DR 103 and Fane loaded 4x12s. To me,thats the best I"ve heard a Ric 12 sound! Thats where I had to switch to a Keeley compressor to keep the jangling in the ballpark!
Really and truly, The Tweed Fender 59 Bassman reissue fits really well and is light and VERY full sounding. 4x10s surprised me!
I hope this helps
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Roger McGuinn praises the Roland Jazz Chorus and there's a lot to be said for the no nonsense cleans of solid state amps for the Ric jangle.

Of the amps I've had since I've played 12 string electric I can say this:

In my experience:

Fender Twin Custom (single 15 in speaker). Current setup. Normal channel + JB2 Janglebox. Best I've ever heard my Ric 330/12

Fender Mustang III with 12 in speaker. Modelling amp with FX (including good compression) that gets a big range of useable tones.

Fender Bassman '59 RI LTD. Normal channel strong rich tone just by plugging in. Big mids which aid the Ric tone straight up. My problem with it was that it doesn't stay clean high enough on the dial (it's not designed to) and I never use overdirve or distortion of any kind ever (Ric 12 or Les Paul regardless) But it's one of Fender's best amps ever.

Fender Deluxe Reverb RI. Strong stock mids make this a great 12 string amp but like the Bassman it breaks up too early for me.

Fender Princeton Reverb RI. Same as the Deluxe but breaks up even sooner.

Fender Super Champ XD normal channel very open and bright with good mids. Nice

Roland Cube 30X modelling amp with an odd poverty of personality 12 sounded brittle or muddy through it

Epiphone Valve Junior. Very nice mids but early breakup

Fender Champ 600 RI Sparkly but low on mids and breaks up as soon as you look at it.

Fender Blues Junior (second release) very pleasant electric 12 experience, adjustable mids and controllable highs.

Fender Pro Junior. Too muddy for any electric 12.

PeterJ
chuck_king

Post by chuck_king »

My Roland JC-120 benefited substantially from swapping in some punchier speakers.

In the past few months I've picked up a couple amps that have been working really well with my Rics. I got an old Traynor YGM-3 "Guitar Mate", and it's possibly the best all-around amp I've played in years. It specifically sounds great with my 660/12, which I find to be a somewhat finicky guitar. But so far, nothing has sounded bad through that amp.

I also picked up an Ampeg Reverberocket (mid-60s vintage), and I LOVE how it sounds with my 360 w/ Hi-Gains. I haven't tried out the 660/12 through it yet.
Vox801

Post by Vox801 »

I started using a hand wired Marshall 40 watt valve amp with a 12 inch weber speaker.... very clean with a tremelo input... run with a tech 21 reverb box which gives an excellent spring or tank simulation.... 660-12 sounds amazing through it.... can overdrive the tubes or I use a blues driver to give it some grit...
tristanbacker

Post by tristanbacker »

The best amp for me is that:

George El Dorado with Celestion Alnico Blue with the EF86 valve in preamp. The new ones not have the standard tube.

http://www.georgetubeamps.com/index.php ... d=2&id=690

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”