Newb pickup question

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Spellcaster

Newb pickup question

Post by Spellcaster »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to working on Rickenbackers. I just bought a standard 4001 bass pickup for a basket case I'm restoring. It came with two machine screws and two tiny rubber grommets. Am I correct in assuming that these go in the holes in the piickup mounting ears and the screw is threaded into them? If so, should there be springs or tubing used between the grommets and the pickguard, or do you just snug the pickup to the guard? Sorry to be asking such a basic question, but these are pretty different animals than the Fenders I've worked on.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Re: Newb pickup question

Post by weemac »

The grommets go inbetween the pickguard and the pickup to allow for some cushioning and a small amount of adjustment. The usual method is to get the neck pickup as close to the strings as you dare and adjust the pickup balance with the treble pickup.

And welcome to the forum!

Eden.
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....
Spellcaster

Post by Spellcaster »

Thanks Eden. I feel a bit dumb....hadn't realized those were threaded holes in the pickup base. (I'm not quite blind, but close!). This makes a lot more sense now.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Don't tighten the screws too much or the pickguard will crack. Some of us cut the grommet in half (from inside the groove) so the pickup can get closer to the strings. I've even left the grommet out.

And welcome aboard!
Spellcaster

Post by Spellcaster »

Thanks John. I got the neck pickup mounted this morning. As soon as my pots and switch order get here, I'll start the wiring.

This seems like a nice forum. I appreciate the quick and helpful replies.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”