Overseas shipping when selling a guitar

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

RonLovesRic12strings

Overseas shipping when selling a guitar

Post by RonLovesRic12strings »

There are forumites overseas that may be interested in purchasing a guitar through a private sale. I live in the USA and may have the opportunity to sell a Rickenbacker guitar to someone residing in Europe. Is there an increased risk in shipping overseas as far as damage and/or a guitar getting lost? What carrier would you recommend, and what would be the approximate shipping costs. I would very much appreciate some feedback from those that have some experience with overseas shipping.
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Re: Overseas shipping when selling a guitar

Post by Ashgray »

As a new UK member, I joined these forums having just bought two 4001 Ricks from a seller in San Diego. My experience has been very positive.

My biggest fear about the entire transaction was the safety of shipping two 4001s by air and road such a distance. As things turned out, I need not have worried - both basses (inside their original Rick cases) were packed in sturdy cardboard boxes, well packed out internally, and made the journey by FedEx all the way, without an appreciable mark on the boxes.

On this experience, I'd use FedEx for any future shipments I make in the other direction across the pond. The shipping charge for each bass was a very reasonable $225 - the total package weighed 66 lbs/30 Kilos.
Last edited by Ashgray on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
collin

Post by collin »

Best service for the least cost is USPS - either Priority or Express mail (which I prefer).

Express mail offers tracking and insurance and typically runs about $150 for a standard Rickenbacker guitar, but it depends on the destination country.

Best plan to avoid damage in shipping is to package it extremely well before shipping (pack it tightly inside the case!), then in a sturdy box without excessive peanuts around the case. The object is to keep the case from shifting inside the box, so consider the packing material needs to act like a shock absorber.

FedEx and UPS are typically far more than USPS (starting at $250ish), and really only best used for very high-end guitars transporting overseas. I've had great success with FedEx, even shipping an amp from the UK to the States.
cestlamort

Post by cestlamort »

I've had no issue sending guitars to Europe with USPS. (There are some size limitations for shipping to Australia, though).

In general: pack well and securely. Case + box has worked for me. A double box is ideal.

I usually offer to hand deliver the guitar if the buyer pays for my ticket, but no one has taken me up on it yet. :(
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

The rules for shipping via USPS keep changing, and sometimes (and for some countries) you can use the International Priority service while for others only Global Express is available.

Global Express usually costs as much as FedEx and UPS.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I have used the USPS to send basses to Hong Kong, Australia and Italy, no issues at all. I do pack well, inside and out to ensure safe travel.
RicukStu

Post by RicukStu »

Over the last few years I've purchased 3 guitars and had them shipped from the U.S.A to the U.K with no problems at all. I've used Express Mail, Priority Mail and Fed Ex. The only issue would be customs charges once it gets to England. 9 times out of 10 customs will charge the buyer 20% of the guitar's value before releasing it, it's happened to me twice.
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

Another problem with shipping to the UK via USPS Global Express is that, once in the UK, it goes through Parcel Force.

Parcel Force is probably the least efficient package delivery company I've ever used.
collin

Post by collin »

LenMinNJ wrote: Global Express usually costs as much as FedEx and UPS.

Not from my experience.....which is considerable.
RonLovesRic12strings

Post by RonLovesRic12strings »

Thank you all for your packing tips and carrier recommendations.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

I purchased four guitars from U.S. They were all packed extremely careful, case and box, even inside the case the instruments were wrapped with newspaper so they could not shake around, especially when RIC silver cases were used. USPS with tracking always was perfect. Never any issues. And the shipping price was considerable.
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

LenMinNJ wrote:Another problem with shipping to the UK via USPS Global Express is that, once in the UK, it goes through Parcel Force.

Parcel Force is probably the least efficient package delivery company I've ever used.
The problem with USPS/Parcelforce is the time it takes for customs clearance on arrival in the UK. Parcelforce have a central customs clearing hub which can often take over a week to clear a package. On one occasion I had a package held there (for no good reason) for well over two weeks (after it had taken only 2 days to get from the US sender to physical arrival in the UK). :roll: In contrast, Fedex/UPS etc have expedited clearance procedures agreed with UK customs authorities which means that they typically clear a package for final delivery within a few hours of it touching down in the UK. At the end of the day, you pays your money....

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”