Dark edge to Fire-glo

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Clifton

Dark edge to Fire-glo

Post by Clifton »

Hi, everyone! I was curious--I just realized, when looking at pictures of new Rickenbacker instruments finished in Fire-glo, that the outer edge of the guitars seems much darker than previously. I know that Rickenbacker hand-sprays their finishes--so there are some subtle differences in finish--but this seems to be uniform with the recent Fire-glos. I prefer the older, two-tone Fire-glo, rather than this new three-tone version. This is starting to look like Fender's "target burst" sunburst finishes from the 1960s.
electrofaro

Re: Dark edge to Fire-glo

Post by electrofaro »

Any pictures as example? :?:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
johnnysain

Post by johnnysain »

How do these leave the factory with a stamp of approval?

Is that paint srayer still working there?

Last edited by johnnysain on Wed May 01, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Rickenbacker player since 1978
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

johnnysain wrote:How does this leave the factory?
Courier? :twisted:

Anyway, are there more pictures then just this one? Maybe this is just some lighting effect?
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Those are both older guitars. The bottom one posted above is an intentional "Harrisonglo" pattern from when they were spraying bursts for the first run of 360/12c63s.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

johnnysain wrote:How do these leave the factory with a stamp of approval?

This is an example of a very poorly rendered photograph. It's my guitar, I took the picture. It's a 2009 manufacture, and I can assure you that it has the dark shading at the edges.

Here's a better photo.
JimK
Attachments
100_0359.jpg
badeggs
Intermediate Member

Post by badeggs »

johnnysain wrote:How do these leave the factory with a stamp of approval?

A bad photo can make a nice burst finish look like it has a hole in it.
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

I think I was looking at the website for Mandolin Brothers and noticed it, since they seem to have several new instruments in Fire-glo. I prefer the older, two-color version to the newer, three-color version. Like I said above, it reminds me of the "target burst" finish on 60s Fenders, where the colors are not really blended together, but rather look like three separate rings. Of course, this is a completely subjective thing, and I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes who prefer the newer style.

Here's a link to the Mandolin Brothers website:

http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/Rickenb ... ctric/3489
Ric_MEL

Post by Ric_MEL »

HI Clifton,

I agree with you re: a period of time it seems the fire-glo had variance.. a DARKER outer edge. It could have been in the 2008-2009 time frame.
I have a 2008 620/6 FG (will post a picture later ) that has this harder darker perimeter.. so I guess the "3 tone" .. compared to more recent production that has the more vintage much lighter edge..
The center is not real light ( ie: no paint ) ... .. but has a pinker tone ..

As I'm accustomed to it.. I like it .. as it's unique.. not the quintessential " Ric FG "

A friend has a 2010 360/12 and the center to perimeter gradient is notably softer and more even.. and edge is lighter.. and the overall color toward the center is more red..
Ric_MEL

Post by Ric_MEL »

Clifton's mando page link shows exactly what I have on my 2008 620/6 FG. A dark perimeter.

I"m surprised to see this on a new FG.. as most recent guitar pics I've looked at .. and my friends example of a 2010 .. are lighter perimeter FG's..
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Ric_MEL wrote:The center is not real light ( ie: no paint ) ... .. but has a pinker tone ..
The inside gets a little yellow treatment these days, but the older ones don't have that so it's more pinkish colours in the center. I really never quite noticed the darker edge to the colour of my 340 FG
Dsc_0003r.jpg
Ric_MEL

Post by Ric_MEL »

My 2008 620 FG.( vertical orientation.. in natural sunlight ) Note both horns are completely dark.. and edges darker than:

an example of a 2010 I pulled off the web.. where the lighter color can be seen up into the horns.. and edges are not as dark.

Seems to me that around that 2008 time frame.. FG were more like < mine >
My 2008 620/6 FG
My 2008 620/6 FG
a 2010 FG image pulled from Web
a 2010 FG image pulled from Web
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

My 330/12 from 1988 has the more subtle "Harrisonglo" like the 360 above. I dunno; I guess I just got used to the more blended version. I also have a 2006 660 in Amber Fire-glo, which also is more blended and has just the two colors.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

I saw some 2013 fireglos in person at Rudy's Soho last week. The dark edge on the fireglo is very prominent; looks like a spaghetti burst. Not the best look, IMO.

Here's the 360/12c63 they had:

ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

Here's two C63s. The one on the left a 2009 (with the sheet material inlays) has very dark edges. The one on the right a 2007 (with poured inlays) is much lighter. They are both great looking guitars but I prefer the 2007. My guess is that if you did a pole you would get a 50-50 split of opinions between forum members.
IMG_0846.jpg
Here's another shot with them on opposite sides.
IMG_0836.jpg
"The best things in life aren't things."

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”