Sure Wish There Was Something New

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Sure Wish There Was Something New

Post by stringsncords »

Having been a forum member for a few years now, I find myself visiting less.... It's been 4 months since NAMM, and things are very quiet.

Other than last year's RUBY and a very few limited runs, it seems like the exciting topics, unique models, COY's, and limited editions are all past history; Tom Petty got a few nice new guitars, and a new F-Hole model was teased, but nothing to stimulate the masses.

I'm sure the company is doing fine with 330's, 360's, etc., and the basic 5 colors, but I just wish there was something new to get excited about.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Re: Sure Wish There Was Something New

Post by deaconblues »

[Tired reminder that the backlog still exists]

[New guy complains]

[New guy flamed]

[Compliment to hard-working people at Rickenbacker]

[Reminder that most Rickenbacker customers still want standard models]

[Jokes]

[/thread]
scotty

Post by scotty »

:lol: its true! Am I in the Twilight Zone. ..
chronictown
Veteran RRF member

Post by chronictown »

deaconblues wrote:[Tired reminder that the backlog still exists]

[New guy complains]

[New guy flamed]

[Jokes]

[/thread]
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

[New guy complains]

[New guy flamed]

[Jokes]

[/thread]
I'd be laughing a lot more if this wasen't painfully accurate.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I think you just summed up the past five years of my life with that post.
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

Sometimes there's nothing left to do but just play your guitar.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Well, there's a new BOOK on Rickenbacker basses! :D :D :D
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
RicOfire

Post by RicOfire »

You know, I'm sure they have someone here to make sure the cob webs are beaten down and keep the place clean and presentable. As far as RIC coming out with a new model? I think it would be cool if they came out with some new options for the current ones. How about an option that allows the player to plug a headphone in to the jack that is powered thereby allowing the player to turn the volume up and not disturb the neighbors? There are ways to do this but, I'm not aware of a headphone to accomplish this. The head phone could include the usual fx settings as well. They could call them RicOphones! :mrgreen:
david/wales/u.k

Post by david/wales/u.k »

[New guy complains]

[New guy flamed]

[Jokes]

[/thread]

:D :lol: :P After your last post about George Harrison being vertically challenged and now this, I reckon we've found the Forum comedian!! :lol:
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

david/wales/u.k wrote: :D :lol: :P After your last post about George Harrison being vertically challenged and now this, I reckon we've found the Forum comedian!! :lol:
Ha...hardly the only one.

When Rickenbacker has me feeling down, I head over the Gretsch website -- they always have something new!

http://www.gretschguitars.com/
ByrdBro

Post by ByrdBro »

Indeed, I'm seriously into my Jaguar at the moment so tend to spend time at OffsetGuitars, Heyho it's good to ring the changes.

I may get shot down here but I really respect Rickenbacker for carrying on with the same models. Yes COYs were a
good way to spice things up but do you know what? I find Rickenbacker's doggedness for producing beautiful guitars in a time honoured way far more appealing than the likes of Fender and Gibson who's catalogues are bulging with the good and the downright awful, guitars messed around with for the sake of offering something new regardless whether its better. And while we're at it, Fenders colours aren't exactly exciting these days either an that's with all those models. So come on guys n' girls lets give Mr. Hall a break.

There, rant over. I feel better for that :lol:
Steve Gunderson

Post by Steve Gunderson »

I love my two RICS and enjoy them immensely. I have read several times that John Hall is as honest as they come. I do, however, have some sympathy with your view about nothing new from RIC. I would put it another way and say that their stratagy seems to be to limit options (370s, Toaster pickups, etc) which seems to be arbitary and not because of any consultation with customers and fans. I have to say that I do not sense any real customer concern when it comes to decisions about these issues or what guitars to produce. I have read that there have been requests to produce again RM 370 12s, which as Mr Hall has pointed out goes against what 'limited edition' means. Does this mean that there could not be just vintage 370-12s without the onboard compressor? I think this would be fantastic. I would suspect, however, that myriads of requests for this would fall on deaf ears. RIC says that they are at full capacity, back-logged and the like which is a credit to their guitars. I would wonder if this isn't a message of tremendous loyalty that should assure Mr. Hall that expansion and more options are probably not as risky as he maybe assumes.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Steve Gunderson wrote:I would wonder if this isn't a message of tremendous loyalty that should assure Mr. Hall that expansion and more options are probably not as risky as he maybe assumes.
It has nothing to do with risk and actually we're in quite a good position on many levels to be able to afford risk. In fact, I've preached the old IBM principle for many years that if you really must fail about 20% of the time, otherwise you're not doing a good job pushing yourself to the limits.

The issue is doing something s well as it can be done. I'm only willing to add capacity as long as the product quality remains as good as it was or gets better.

Actually, I think most people will be pleasantly surprised when they see what the future holds.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Dan do you wanna do your thread prediction now? seems like a good time. :mrgreen:

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”