New JangleBox pedals

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ByrdBro

Re: New JangleBox pedals

Post by ByrdBro »

I'll second that, Steve Lasko is a good guy and his attention to customer care is second to none.

I really don't know how you can be running your JB2 Byrds with batteries. My unit started distorting after less than
two hours with batteries, not acceptable especially when gigging.

I would seriously suggest using a good quality mains adapter like a Boss. The outlay is cheap compared to perminantly
shelling out for batteries and you won't run into audio quality problems either.

DONT do what I originally did by using a cheap mains adapter :roll:
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

As soon as I received my JB2 back in 2010, I removed the six screws on the back of the unit to take out the battery. I've been using a One Spot adapter from square one and have never had any issues.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I'm not on Facebook, but am eager to garner any available information about the new JangleBox Noise Suppressor. I've tried the company website, to no avail. :( Does anybody know when these will be available and at what price?
david/wales/u.k

Post by david/wales/u.k »

From what I can gather (I could be wrong) the JB3 and the noise suppressor will be for sale in about 3 weeks and will then appear on the website
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Thanks for the heads up, David. I expect the new noise suppressor will be worth the wait. 8) Let's hope Steve Lasko does offer a discount to RRF members. :!:
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

Folkie wrote:Thanks for the heads up, David. I expect the new noise suppressor will be worth the wait. 8) Let's hope Steve Lasko does offer a discount to RRF members. :!:
We're almost there. The J-Gate should be available for sale sometime next week (I have to design the web page today and get it to our tech). $225. I'll offer it to RRF members for $200 in the form of a rebate for 30 days after it's up on the website. Email me if you want to take advantage of this offer — there'll be no other mention about it.

The reissue made-in-the-USA JangleBox ($220) and the new JB3 ($325) are only awaiting the enclosures, which I hope are being shipped out today. PCBs for both pedals are already been built. Maybe another week for them. Sorry I can't offer a discount on these pedals right now, but my dealers would kill me. :wink:
Attachments
JangleBox J-Gate
JangleBox J-Gate
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

My JangleBox compressor has brought alive my Rickenbacker 12-strings, ever since I purchased a JB2 back in 2010. Now comes the icing on the cake: Steve Lasko has just posted the new J-Gate noise suppressor on the JangleBox website, which means the J-Gate is officially available to RRF members at a discount. My JangleBox and my Rics sound like a match made in heaven, and eliminating any incidental hiss and hum from the signal could be the perfecting touch on the world's greatest line of compressors. 8)
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

Folkie wrote:My JangleBox compressor has brought alive my Rickenbacker 12-strings, ever since I purchased a JB2 back in 2010. Now comes the icing on the cake: Steve Lasko has just posted the new J-Gate noise suppressor on the JangleBox website, which means the J-Gate is officially available to RRF members at a discount. My JangleBox and my Rics sound like a match made in heaven, and eliminating any incidental hiss and hum from the signal could be the perfecting touch on the world's greatest line of compressors. 8)
FINALLY!
The JangleBox website has been updated! We still need to make a couple of tweaks on the landing page, but the important thing is that you can now order our NEW pedals directly from the shopping cart. Of course, my earlier offer to RRF members stands on the J-Gate. For the next 30 days. Starting now! :wink:
http://www.janglebox.com/
david/wales/u.k

Post by david/wales/u.k »

When will they become available in UK stores. ( I'm not sure how ordering from UK to USA works- regarding sterling and dollars and if it would be worth it with the shipping costs etc)
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

david/wales/u.k wrote:When will they become available in UK stores. ( I'm not sure how ordering from UK to USA works- regarding sterling and dollars and if it would be worth it with the shipping costs etc)
As of today, $1.00 = £.63. Or £1.00 = $1.58. Shipping to the UK is $45 (£28.63) via Priority Mail.

We haven't received a substantive order of our new pedals from Rickysounds.com yet. Sound Affects Music lists our pedals, but has no stock and hasn't ordered from us in a while. Those are our only UK dealers. Using the current exchange rate, if you compare pricing you might find it's actually less expensive to buy directly from us on our online store. You can always give me a call and I'll process your order directly. 1.866.352.6453. (1.866.3JANGLE).

I spoke with a rep from Chandler Guitars last week and I got the impression that there's a good possibility they'll be carrying JangleBox pedals in the near future.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Now that the J-Gate is available, I'm poised to buy one. But first I thought I'd send a feeler out there to see how players are responding to the pedal, namely how it changes the signal with different guitars and effects. I've never used a noise suppressor before, so I don't even know what the "Threshold" and "Decay" knobs do. I'm sure Steve can clarify some of this for me. But I'd also like to know exactly what makes the J-Gate uniquely "musical."
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

Folkie wrote:I don't even know what the "Threshold" and "Decay" knobs do.
Easy to hear what they do when you have a pedal in hand, hard to describe with words but I'll give it a go.

A noise suppressor cuts out the non-musical aspects of a guitar or effects chain. Think of it as a gate on a fence. If you have that gate open only about an inch, not much can get through. Not even a mouse. Swing the gate wider and more can get through. Even a horse. That's the Threshold knob. You set it to a point that allows you to cut off the right amount of excess noise. Keep it closed too much and you won't allow enough of your music through to the amp. Open it too wide and you allow too much of the unwanted noise through to your amp. Depending upon the noise in your rig, you adjust the Threshold knob. The Decay knob simply shortens or lengthens the musical tones. You set it so you have a natural decay of the notes you play. When they decay, when you set that Decay knob just right, then the suppression of the noise kicks in.

Those are just words. As I said, those Threshold and Decay knobs are easy to understand when you twiddle and tweak them. A noise suppressor is a wonder. Sure you can hear a bit of the noise just as your final note decays, but, man, a top noise supprssor is a fantastic thing. You turn it on and your rig is completely silent. Turn your body any which way and no pickup noise! Play your guitar and no degradation of tone is present at all. Unwanted noise just disappears. It's magic.
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

Tommy wrote:
Folkie wrote:I don't even know what the "Threshold" and "Decay" knobs do.
Easy to hear what they do when you have a pedal in hand, hard to describe with words but I'll give it a go.

A noise suppressor cuts out the non-musical aspects of a guitar or effects chain. Think of it as a gate on a fence. If you have that gate open only about an inch, not much can get through. Not even a mouse. Swing the gate wider and more can get through. Even a horse. That's the Threshold knob. You set it to a point that allows you to cut off the right amount of excess noise. Keep it closed too much and you won't allow enough of your music through to the amp. Open it too wide and you allow too much of the unwanted noise through to your amp. Depending upon the noise in your rig, you adjust the Threshold knob. The Decay knob simply shortens or lengthens the musical tones. You set it so you have a natural decay of the notes you play. When they decay, when you set that Decay knob just right, then the suppression of the noise kicks in.

Those are just words. As I said, those Threshold and Decay knobs are easy to understand when you twiddle and tweak them. A noise suppressor is a wonder. Sure you can hear a bit of the noise just as your final note decays, but, man, a top noise supprssor is a fantastic thing. You turn it on and your rig is completely silent. Turn your body any which way and no pickup noise! Play your guitar and no degradation of tone is present at all. Unwanted noise just disappears. It's magic.
Tommy's description of the noise gate function is spot on. I'll just add that I consider the JangleBox J-Gate a very "musical" noise gate because we use a top-grade opto-coupler that maintains the signal for consistent performance, and there's no chatter or artifacting as the sound decays. Your guitar will have a natural sounding fade out. We also added a mute switch in case of unexpected feedback or squealing.

If you play live and experience any buzz or hum while your guitar idles — say, when you're between songs, tuning up, talking to the audience, changing guitars, whatever — you'll love the J-Gate; just turn it on and forget about it. Your signal path will be dead silent.
cauger

Post by cauger »

So, has anybody had the chance to play through a JB3 yet? It's been available for a while now but I haven't been able to find any feedback on it so far.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

cauger wrote:So, has anybody had the chance to play through a JB3 yet? It's been available for a while now but I haven't been able to find any feedback on it so far.
No, not I. I doubt seriously that I'll purchase the JB3. I already have the original JB and the JB2. That's sufficient for my needs.
JimK

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”