Want my Baby in Black

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

mrtobor

Want my Baby in Black

Post by mrtobor »

Hi All, I'm new here (first post). Just acquired a mint Ruby 360/12! It is gorgeous and I love it. Plays as beautifully as it looks. Only thing... I think it would look even more awesome with black hardware. I've done a bit of searching on this forum and it seems that the black hardware thing comes up from time to time, but those posts mostly concern instruments that already have black hardware. I want to retrofit mine.
Can I these parts be obtained from Ric or are there 3rd party suppliers out there (presumably with Ric's authorization). TIA
mrtobor

Re: Want my Baby in Black

Post by mrtobor »

Hmm... *No Reply*.

Was mine a dumb question or am I just SOL with regard to getting black trim pieces for my Ruby 360/12?
Pick of the Ricks has black 12 string R tailpieces for $150, but no black pick guards. Bummer.
Black keywinds would be nice, but I'd be satisfied with just the tailpiece and the pick guards.
I'm dismayed as to why RIC doesn't offer black trim pieces for sale since they often make instruments in that alternative color scheme.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Welcome to the Forum, Vernon! :)

Yours is not a dumb question at all, but if you had used the Search function for "black hardware", you would have found previous threads that read about the same: the black trim (BT) option was discontinued by the factory and those parts are no longer available at the RIC Boutique.

You will need to find the black parts on eBay or here in the Forum Marketplace, as they do come up for sale every so often. You'll just need to be patient in your quest. 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
mrtobor

Post by mrtobor »

Thanks so much DrWho! I guess I wasn't thorough enough in my search. I will keep my eyes peeled for black trim pieces or even perhaps a trashed Ric w/BT that I can cannibalize. (A long shot, I know). In any case, I can live with white/chrome until get my hands on those items.
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

The black pickguard is the easiest part - Pickguardian will take care of all your needs. His prices are reasonable and his work is first-rate.

Finding a black truss rod cover will be tougher and costlier, but if all you care about is the tailpiece and guards PoTR can take care of the one and Pickguardian the other. Note, though, that PoTR can only sell you a new R tailpiece if you send them your old one, so if you do this you won't easily be able to switch back. You might be better off seeing if you can get a used one here or on eBay.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Just beware of Gibson Dependable on eBay, or as he's known here the Jersey Butcher. If you buy from him I wouldn't post here about it... Search jingle_jangle's threads here about him...
mrtobor

Post by mrtobor »

@jdawe:
Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention the TRC before but yes, it would look silly without doing that too. I'd like to save the white/chrome parts in case I want to change it back one day. So I think I'll wait until I can find a person with the parts for sale.

@jdogric12:
Thanks for the warning about "Gibson Dependable".
raygunpyle

Post by raygunpyle »

The guy from Winfield Vintage can make you a black "Harp" tailpiece. It isn't the iconic R Tailpiece, but it will fit your needs.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”