Toaster Pickup option at time of purchase!

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Ric_MEL

Toaster Pickup option at time of purchase!

Post by Ric_MEL »

I haven't been surfing the forum much of late..( so maybe this has been discussed ) ..

but I do try to check out Pick of the Ricks on a regular basis.

I know RIC has the backlog issue.. so model selection remains static on an evolutionary scale..

but I've always wondered: how hard would it be to just give the option to dealers to place their orders for body/color etc. with an option to have Hi-Gains or Toaster Pickups. Wouldn't affect the wood shop.. the paint booth. etc etc. . Just which pickup do you plop into place right at the electronics installation time.

Well how cool is it that Pick of the Ricks has taken it upon themselves t offer just that option !! .. an upcharge of $250 is involved.. but easier than paying $300 for the pickups.. and then either having to deal paying someone to install them ( if you are not a DIY'er) and trying to sell the Hi-Gains.

Way to go Pick of the Ricks!

http://www.pickofthericks.com/rickenbac ... -13-23713/
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Re: Toaster Pickup option at time of purchase!

Post by deaconblues »

It's a neat option (and much needed), but I'm sure Rickenbacker would say that it voids the factory warranty.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Ric_MEL wrote:an upcharge of $250 is involved.. but easier than paying $300 for the pickups.. and then either having to deal paying someone to install them ( if you are not a DIY'er) and trying to sell the Hi-Gains.
Is it, though? Does Pick of the Ricks include the original pickups when you choose this option? If not, seems like kind of a ripoff IMO. If you purchased the pickups yourself you could atleast sell the originals and recoup most of the cost.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I bought a 360/12 from POTR in 2010, and asked Chris Clayton to install 7.4k toasters. It goes without saying that he sent me the original hi gains. I was able to sell them at a pretty good price to a very high profile member of this forum. All things considered, $250 for a toaster swap is a killer deal! But I think including toasters as a factory option is a wonderful idea. 8)
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Folkie wrote:I bought a 360/12 from POTR in 2010, and asked Chris Clayton to install 7.4k toasters. It goes without saying that he sent me the original hi gains. I was able to sell them at a pretty good price to a very high profile member of this forum. All things considered, $250 for a toaster swap is a killer deal! But I think including toasters as a factory option is a wonderful idea. 8)
Chris is a good guy, and that is a great deal for two toasters installed.
Last edited by deaconblues on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Great, thanks for clarifying Robert. 250$ is very reasonable for the cost of the toasters and installation.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

deaconblues wrote:It's a neat option (and much needed), but I'm sure Rickenbacker would say that it voids the factory warranty.
Probably just on the pickups, based on my experience with warranty work.
Ric_MEL

Post by Ric_MEL »

Since there were questions.. I emailed Chris at POTR

His reply:
Yes, the original Hi Gains are included, since they were part of the purchase price of the guitar. If they were to be an issue with the replacement toaster pickup, we would handle that, not Rickenbacker.
Seems like a win-win idea all around.. good value.. get Toasters with your new RIC.. from an authorized dealer! KUDOs to POTR!

I have to assume that if there were ANY other issues with the guitar.. RIC would still stand behind their Warranty ( I know: A-S-S-U-M-E 8-)

maybe Ben or John can weigh in if I'm mistaken..

-Mark
Ric_MEL

Post by Ric_MEL »

Interesting..

cruising' Wildwood guitar site

and came across this listing which advertises the " upgrade to Toaster " option.. and when looking through their other RIC listings..

this is the ONLY SKU - this particular 330/6 Fireglo - that offers the option..

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products ... ID=119&n=2

maybe if one asks.. it's available on others..

but: the idea is catching on. Great! $220 for Toasters at time of purchase.. installed.. and you get the Hi-Gains ..

IF RIC were to ever offer models - Hi-Gains or Toasters right from the factory.. I'd bet the Toaster version would be a couple hundred $$ upcharge.. so this price is in the ballpark.. - and it's an option right now.. ! Way to go Wildwood!

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”