Thicker strings on a 330

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

greyash

Thicker strings on a 330

Post by greyash »

Hello!

I want to put thicker strings (0.11 or even 0.12) on my Rickenbacker 330/6. I know that I will have to readjust the bridge, the neck and the nut for it to work properly.

Do you have any experience with thicker strings on 330 or 360 and what tips can you give?

Cheers,
André
MDL

Re: Thicker strings on a 330

Post by MDL »

Don't know if this will help, mine is a 12 string and when I first got it ('69) the only strings available in Philly were heavy strings 12 -13's the benefits were perfect intonation, the down side was a flat sound (little jangle) and really muscular fingers. It didn't affect the guitar (neck) but I had to buy new gloves. Good luck.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Since RIC does not make a set of 11's, I feel free to recommend either the D'Addario EXL 115 or 115W, 11-49, either with or without a wound 3rd G String, as may be your preference. I have been using these for years, and I've never gone back to 10's for any reason. Another good set of 11's is the GHS Brite Flats, which I have on another guitar. DR has a set of 11's flats that I have not tried, yet, but I'm considering.

Unfortunately, most other manufacturer's sets of 11's get really heavy on the middle strings, for me, anyway.

Yes, with the shallow "break" angles over the bridge and nut, RIC 300 series guitars do benefit in both tone and sustain from using 11's instead of 10's.
greyash

Post by greyash »

Thanks for your replies!

A friend of mine that works at a guitar store actually also recommended D'Addario EXL115 for a Ric, so I guess I am gonna roll with them :)

Cheers from Sweden
//André
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

I play my 330/6 always with 11's TI flats:
Only slighly higer forces needed when playing but a noticeable fuller and richer ringing sound - and more output.

IMHO an improvement without negative effects.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”