Commemoration - Your Guitar's Manufacture Anniversary

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rictite

Re: Commemoration - Your Guitar's Manufacture Anniversary

Post by rictite »

My 325c58 is 11 years old this week. Reversible mods: trapeze, Burns knobs, Mastery bridge. One reason for John to remove the Rogans; the volume knobs were/are too close together and they collide with each other and get stuck. I don't want to break a Rogan.

I've had it for five months. I wanted a guitar that would make me play differently and the 325 was it. I feel like I'm contending with it when I play it, but over time it's getting easier. I broke it in with early Beatles, pre-1967 Stones, the Band, Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, Costello, Crosby-era Byrds, Kinks, 60s garage acetates, Velvets--it gives simple music rough edges. When I fool around with song ideas I fall back on its acoustic side--it can do an amplified dreadnought voice.
325 2.JPG
325 1.JPG
Lefty4001

Post by Lefty4001 »

Over the Hill.

Red-dotted, wavy-Grovered, 1/2"-PUP-spaced growling MG4001-LH turns 40 this month.
Attachments
IMG_3680-small.JPG
IMG_3679a.jpg
IMG_3682.JPG
IMG_3688.JPG
'turn up the bass'
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Nice! Sweet rare bird - a 4001LH w/righty neck and the red dots... very cool! Does it have the red dots on both sides of the fretboard?
Lefty4001

Post by Lefty4001 »

walker wrote:Nice! Sweet rare bird - a 4001LH w/righty neck and the red dots... very cool! Does it have the red dots on both sides of the fretboard?
Never checked. Hold on...it does not. :lol:

I'm colorblind and thought they were green for a few years. Searching the forum turned up lots on "red dots," I reconsidered.

I think I'm in the minority in that I like the opposed head stock. I have a version of both ('93 is the other build year) and prefer this one in alot of ways. The neck PUP spacing and capacitor really gives it character, and jumping the cap gives it a bit more push. The neck is "D" shaped and thin. I picked this up about 11 years ago, have kept it original except for the switch. It's a benchmark for me.
'turn up the bass'
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

If the dots look more green than red to you, you may have been right the first time - there were a rare number made with green dots and some blue.
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Looking at the neck photo again, I guess they look more red than green to me, too.
Lefty4001

Post by Lefty4001 »

walker wrote:If the dots look more green than red to you, you may have been right the first time - there were a rare number made with green dots and some blue.
I had read about some of those, too, but I had my wife confirm they were red. It was my eyes. They are still easier to pick out than the tiny white specs on my 4003S.
'turn up the bass'
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

My Bass turns 40 this month! We've been through a lot together and with the help of the RRF made it! For the first twenty something years she was as she came to me with a DiMarzio DB 120 in her, then I got the bug to restore her to closer to original and thanks to Tony M. I got a '72 High Gain treble Pup, man what a difference! Through a broken neck, Pup swaps, Truss rod adjustments, and other advice and camaraderie Thank you RRFers!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Congrats on the 4-0, Ted! Nice yellowing on the finish!
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

Thanks Mark!

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”