What's the deal with McGuinn's 7 string Martin?

Those who flock to The Byrds
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

What's the deal with McGuinn's 7 string Martin?

Post by loverickbass »

It's has a high octive G string and a small pickup but other than that it looks like your typical Martin acoustic. Weird...

Cole
grsnovi
Veteran RRF member

Post by grsnovi »

I don't know what the deal is, but I'd love to play one...

...I sort of doubt that Martin is actually building them (although you might be able to special order one).
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
grsnovi
Veteran RRF member

Post by grsnovi »

I had read that story when it was published (I don't generally read that magazine, but I'll pick them up when they look like they have stuff in them that interest me and McGuinn and anything Byrds still does - if it is new material).

My comment about Martin building them was more along the lines of: I doubt that Martin is going to do a production run of them that will be delivered to sit as inventory anywhere.

When the article first appeared I recall somebody saying that had inquired of Martin but had not gotten a reply.

The idea that the g-pairing is the most noteable aspect of a twelve string is interesting. I think that the g-pair on my RIC is certainly out front, but I'm not sure the same would be true on acoustics.

It would make for an interesting ingredient in any lead crossing from the D to the B
the_tonebender

Post by the_tonebender »

Martin is making them. They should be out in April-May timeframe from what I hear. Hefty pricetag: LP $9,000
grsnovi
Veteran RRF member

Post by grsnovi »

According to the Martin web site, list is $5499 (a far cry from $9k)

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=m&m=HD-7%20Roger%20McGuinn
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Gary. So does this mean we are looking at $3500 or so retail? I feel a whole lot better now.Image
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
the_tonebender

Post by the_tonebender »

Whoops! Sorry about the bad price quote.
joeyr
Veteran RRF member

Post by joeyr »

...So someone's gonna pay an additional 2 to 3 grand for a D28 with an extra g string and some fancy inlay and rosette work??? That's got to be somebody with way too much discretionary income
That's not your grandfather
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

I wish I had the discretionary income problem!

Cole

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”