need advice: fix or sell my '73 4001

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Sir Ricardo
Intermediate Member

Re: need advice: fix or sell my '73 4001

Post by Sir Ricardo »

teeder wrote:
Can the rods be tapped back into the channels first and then attempt to straighten?
Kevin, how would that work?

As it stands, due to the angle of the nuts, you can't really get a wrench on them and turn them. I've tried. They 'turn' but not much, you just can't get ahold of them.

So, in order for the rods to be 'tapped back into the channels' I think I'd need to unscrew the nuts, and then tap them back in. Is that the procedure?

Because if that's how it would work, I'm not sure I could do that.

Right now, the truss rod nuts are firmly against the 'nut plate' (or whatever that piece of metal is, the thing that sits between the truss rod nuts and the string nut).

thanks for the idea, let me know -

Richard
teeder

Post by teeder »

Sorry, I was picturing the whole rod being out too far and the nuts "not" being against the plate.
Sir Ricardo
Intermediate Member

Post by Sir Ricardo »

Here is a photo of the nuts. Click on the photo, it 'rights' itself if you do that.
Attachments
nut.jpg
teeder

Post by teeder »

So the plate is too far out too.

"I" would try to gently tap the plate back into position against the center block of wood to see if that relieved some of the tension on the nuts.

I would also keep a clamp on the fretboard while doing all this as described above.
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

Richard- Have you tried using an open ended wrench to loosen the nuts?
You would need to grind the outsides first so that it will fit.
Though, if you loosen them, you may not be able to regain the playability you have now.

Also- These basses were NEVER intended to have strings on them that were outside of the original specs.
The Maxima strings are 44-101.
Rickenbacker had warranty specs on these for a reason!
So, 45-100 and playing fine are in normal parameters.
45-105 is the norm for a 4003, NOT 4001.

Having said that, if it's playing fine now with 45-100 (Nickel rounds?) then I'd leave it alone.
I've had scads of 4001's with nuts looking like this with no problems.
Speaking of 4003's, there's an early one pictured in Paul's book with the nuts a-goin'-diggin...
Put the TRC back on and play it or sell it.
Though you'd want to tell prospective buyers that stringing with heavier strings is outside of original specs and will damage the bass and is at their own risk.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Replacement rods aren't really that expensive, so....I would cut the nuts off with a small diameter cutting wheel on my Dremmel. Then tap them through from the body end, and replace them. The fact that the neck is straight and the action is good means it may stay that way for a very long time. This situation wouldn't have stopped me from buying the bass....if I had the scratch.
opticnerve
Advanced Member

Post by opticnerve »

aceonbass wrote: I would cut the nuts off
YOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

Sorry....carry on.
Sir Ricardo
Intermediate Member

Post by Sir Ricardo »

aceonbass wrote:Replacement rods aren't really that expensive, so....I would cut the nuts off with a small diameter cutting wheel on my Dremmel. Then tap them through from the body end, and replace them. The fact that the neck is straight and the action is good means it may stay that way for a very long time. This situation wouldn't have stopped me from buying the bass....if I had the scratch.
Brilliant idea. I had not thought of that. I'll look into it. The way the nuts are angled, the truss rod is exposed, so if I had a really small cutting wheel I could probably ease it in there.

:idea:
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

opticnerve wrote:
YOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

Sorry....carry on.
I realize that the bass might at this point become a piccolo bass, but sacrifices may have to be made.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Sir Ricardo wrote:
aceonbass wrote:Replacement rods aren't really that expensive, so....I would cut the nuts off with a small diameter cutting wheel on my Dremmel. Then tap them through from the body end, and replace them. The fact that the neck is straight and the action is good means it may stay that way for a very long time. This situation wouldn't have stopped me from buying the bass....if I had the scratch.
Brilliant idea. I had not thought of that. I'll look into it. The way the nuts are angled, the truss rod is exposed, so if I had a really small cutting wheel I could probably ease it in there.

:idea:
If you can't find a small enough cut off wheel, you can tilt the head sideways and cut into the nut at an angle. This would take longer, but the result would still be the same.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

jps wrote:
antipodean wrote:...New rods can be made for the bass, but may cost north of USD200 to be machined and installed...
Hmm, now I have some idea of what my NOS rods may be worth.................... :mrgreen:
Labour accounts for a lot of the cost... people are expensive down here! :mrgreen:

BTW - Please excuse the liberal use of "u"s in my spelling of words like "colour" and "labour"!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

opticnerve wrote:
YOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

Sorry....carry on.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sir Ricardo
Intermediate Member