What compressor to get for a 360/12?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

johnashfield
Veteran RRF member

What compressor to get for a 360/12?

Post by johnashfield »

Currently I play my 360/12 --> tuner --> Barber tone Pump --> Delay --> Twin reverb.

I want to add a compressor that would give me more of that McGuinn feel during solos. I was looking at the Barber Tone Press which looks easy to use, but I've never heard it.

I recorded some 12 string today using the 1176 Bomb Factory compressor on ProTools, with the 'all buttons in' setting. I am hoping for a pedal that will do a sound like that. Or close!

Any advice would be appreciated!
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

Hi John. I have a Boss CS3 which is ..er.. perfunctory. Noisy but with a few useful spots. Then I upgraded to an Aphex Punch Factory. Studio quiet, lots of features, utterly transparent, and 20db of clean boost. A great addition to any rig... but somehow not very satisfying as an 'effect'. So what next? I'm buying a Janglebox. www.janglebox.com
Within the next two weeks.

Noel
Shaking the floor of Heaven
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Compressors aren't really an "effect" although they are lumped in with them. I put them more in the category of processors like EQ. When used heavily they can be considered an effect; the Punch Factory does an excellent job of compressing without obvious artifacts, perhaps that is why it doesn't do it for you.
oreca
Intermediate Member

Post by oreca »

Woah, I finally got to really understand the difference it does through that website.
I don't recall ever hearing it go from no compressor to compressed.
I really like it, too bad I don't have 215$USD!
wrattej

Post by wrattej »

I've ordered a JangleBox from www.ricsrus.com here in the UK. It should turn up on Wednesday so I'll let you know what I think of it then. I'm planning on using it with my 355/12JL.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It is a fantastic pedal. I am confident that will be very pleased with it.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
beefandbones
Intermediate Member

Post by beefandbones »

I've got a Demeter Compulator and that's a great compressor. It's not as 'McGuinn' as others, but it's so sweet and round. It's hard to describe compression in words, but it's designed to replicate the sound of an LA2A. I leave it on all the time at a low setting, and it gives a nice smooth to everything. And I use it for guitar and bass.

I love compressors, and the Tone Press and the Janglebox both seem tempting!
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

We've updated our web site to include sound samples and artist testimonials. If you want to hear how JangleBox can help you attain that great Byrds/Roger McGuinn sound, go to:
http://www.janglebox.com/clips.asp

To see what Roger McGuinn and others have said about JangleBox, go to:
http://www.janglebox.com/artists.asp
jamesvwaal

Post by jamesvwaal »

I picked up a JangleBox in December (thanks Steve!) and it is great. I use it with both my 360 Ric and a USA-made Telecaster. With the Ric I use the bright setting, but with the Tele I have to back off and use the normal setting as the Tele is too tinny on bright. You can hear the difference quite readily. With the Ric, my big tube amp (Laney) sounds muddy at many settings but the JangleBox (on bright) removes the muddiness.
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

Janglebox every time!! Try a Carl Wilson 12 string (Rickenbacker's secret weapon) through the janglebox - awesome!!!!
wrattej

Post by wrattej »

My Janglebox arrived today. I've not tried it through a traditional amp yet but I've front-ended into a Line 6 Pod2 using the "Line 6 Clean" amp model (JC120 sound). It sounds fantastic. I've tried it with my 355/12JL and the guitar just sings. I've also tried it with my 360-6 and the Janglebox really does add something to what was already a great sound.

I'm running the unit off of a battery and its pretty quiet. I use a Dunlop DC Brick to power all my other effects but unfortunately it can't be used to power the JangleBox as the Janglebox requires a "center pin positive" adapter. I have tried the Janglebox with a stand-alone regulated 9 volt center pin positive adapter and it does add a bit of hum. However, this could just be the adapter that I'm using. I can't use the recommended adapter (from RP Electronic Components) as it only comes with a US plug. I'm in the UK. However, that aside, forget all other compressors - just get a Janglebox and let your RIC breath.

For all you "gear-heads" out there, I've attached a photo of my effects board with the JangleBox in place. Here's the connection order: guitar --> JangleBox --> Tuner --> Hot Cake --> Tube Screamer --> Chorus (output 1 --> amp1) output 2 --> Digital Delay -> amp2

robcollins

Post by robcollins »

John , how long did you wait for your Janglebox? - I'm thinking of getting one myself.
wrattej

Post by wrattej »

It took about 2 weeks or so. I think Mike at "Rics R Us" has some more on order - best check with him as to when they'll be in.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I'm glad it's so small - it looked much bigger in the pictures and I don't have much pedalboard space to spare!

Oh yeah, I definitley plan on getting one of these. Image
robcollins

Post by robcollins »

Just ordered mine.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”