Another New Guy / New Gear

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Another New Guy / New Gear

Post by bitzerguy »

Hi all,

I finaly registered for this forum, and got a Ric. I have been around on VT and Patchtronix for over a year now, but got my first Ric after 35 years of playing intro guitars, LPs and Telecasters. Here's a picture:

Positively the best guitars made. Ric #2 shouldn't be too far behind. I just love this instrument.

...Dean
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome to the Rickenbacker forum Dean. Tell us how your 660/12 plays and what you have in mind for your second Rickenbacker. You have to love the fireglo finish with the gold guards and nameplate.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Welcome to the Forum, Dean!

I would be curious to know what settings your are using on the Valvetronics for the 660/12. Is it an AD60 or AD120? One of my amps is an AD120VTH with an older 2-10" Kustom cabinet (or alternatively, a 2-10" cabinet with D-110F JBLs), but haven't had the time to tweak the controls enough to lock in on the "perfect" settings.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Nice one, Dean.

Welcome from another new guy.

Looks like my next one might be a 620/12 but probably not fireglo - maybe jetglo with the gold bits & pieces.
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Hey Dean! Welcome! I waited 35 years for mine, too, and my first Rick was a 660-12 as well. That arrived on December 22. Recently it was joined by a matching 381V69. Ricks are habit-forming, eh? Good luck in your new passion!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Peter, the 660/12 is fabulous to play for me. The wide neck suits my mits perfectly, as does the full scale. I found it plays like many 6 strings I've owned, but sounds very unique. I find I can repro just about any vintage Ric 12 sound I like with this guitar and the AD120VTH/AD212 setup. I am tempted to get a 660/6 for the next one (in Blueburst!), however, I do like the 350 series (Blueburst or FireGlo 350...Hmmm). I am not a "must have the Lennon mods/style" kind of guy. I like the sounds and the great finishes the Ric folks come up with. My wife says the 660 looks like a jewel. I think she is very observant!

Gary, I use several settings with the 660/12 and am pleased with all so far. Even, believe it or not, a great Mesa Boogie model with over the top gain and overdrive! For vintage or clean stuff I use AC30, AC30TB, UK70, Boutique Clean and Tweed 4x10 models. I use the compressor with the AC30 model and chorus on all. I use two of each setting, one for low power at home, and one with the eq mids reset for high volume with the band. I use the AD120VTH with two AD212s when gigging, and have used it with one AD212 and one custom built 2 x 18" JBL cab I usually loan to our bassist. Very loud... I am a tweak monster though, and I do spend an hour or two each night with my rig.

Howard, the 600 series are my favorite shape and weight. A Jetglo 620/12 would be ultra fine. I had the choice between Fireglo and Montezuma Brown, but did not think the extra cash for the MB was warranted. And when I saw the FG I fell in love.

Paul, a 381V69, that's the "German" carve isn't it? Beautiful instruments. I was considering a MG one when I tried the 660. The 12 string solid body won my heart and ears. Once you get the Ric tone in your head, it is hard (impossible) to change. I haven't touched my '69 LP Deluxe in weeks and I only use the Godin when I absolutely need to bend a lot of strings, and when only 6 will do. Very rare now.

Thanks for the great welcome guys.

...Dean
...Dean

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

Another convert to the cult of the overdriven 12 string.

All is working according to plan.
"The only worthwhile conquests are those wrested from ignorance"
-Napoleon
bluespckr

Post by bluespckr »

Hey, Dean ---- S-W-E-E-E-E-E-T guitar, there! I waited almost 40 years before finally getting my first Ric this past December. It was the best Christmas I ever gave myself and just kick myself for not doing what I should have done back in my youth! Ric's are great guitars ... and I, too, am pondering about a mate for my 360-6. Happy playing and welcome aboard!!! (Sounds like your wife knows her stuff, too.)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Dean. Great comments.
My wife says the 660 looks like a jewel."
Now that is the spirit!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

I am extremely fortunate to have someone like her in my life. She encourages my GAS, and my playing (I am out twice a week minimum playing with bands) and actually gives the greatest Christmas and birthfay gifts. She gave me the AD120VTH/AD212/VC12 rig for Christmas last year. The second AD212 arrived for my birthday 6 months later. She is encouraginf the second Ric now too.

Sorry guys, I'm keeping her. (Wife and guitar)

Thanks Paul. I agree. It is sweet. Time for a 12 to go with that 6.

...Dean
...Dean

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The 660-12 with the wider neck suits me perfectly; although I have slender digits, I need all the help I can get...

Yeah, "German carved" that's the one. I'm in the process of personalizing it and it's partially disassembled. I'll have some photobucket pics up later today or tomorrow under a new thread. The construction of this guitar is very unique and inventive. The sound with the toasters is wonderful. AC120 next!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”