Jangle Box

Those who flock to The Byrds
byrddog

Post by byrddog »

Steve,
Sorry about that, I left my Card at home by the computer doing taxes. I will call and order tomarrow. Now I do plan to mount the J-Box near my recording station..maybe not in the gold framed panel as I said before at the top of this stream, but up close. I will use it in my home recordings (with my 370 and others) so no need for it to be on the floor since I don't perform. That was 400 years ago or before dinosaurs roamed. In the studio, need it at my finger tips, and not my toes....for the sake of room.
Reality checks in life are like Sound Checks, we need to do them more often.
varmint

Post by varmint »

After my (Christmas present) JB finally arrived in January, I must say that it's lived up to my expectations. It sounds great not only with a Rick 370, but I've plugged in a Strat, Tele and Jaguar with good results. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering how a Variax using the 12-string setting would sound? I'll have to try that one tonight.
Great product Steve, well worth the wait!
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Steve - thanks for the heads-up. We're soon going in to record our second opus, I've known there was a bit of a wait, shoulda ordered in a more timely fashion!
sakuradamon

Post by sakuradamon »

I have one in the box I will be selling in the very near future. $200 delivered. Inquire Within.
pmb1

Post by pmb1 »

I also have one for sale. Like new.
$200 shipped. Send PM
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I got mine last week. I sure like it. Haven't had a lot of time to experiment, which is a drag, since I'll be in the recording studio with it tomorrow!
Sure makes a 12 string shine!
12_strings

Post by 12_strings »

I've had one for over a year. Just got it out this morning and ran it through my Carvin BelAir vintage tube amp. I have a 660/12 and the JB really makes it chime. Great product. A little expensive but you don't need any other pedals or effect boxes.

I am a new member and this is a great guitar and music resource. Got away from playing for many years but decided to start again a little over a year ago. Picked up the Ric from the Rickenbacker Page, then bought some Martins, a Heritage archtop and some Fenders.

The JangleBox delivers all it promises. I think simple is better and it doesn't get much simpler.

Anyway, great forum.

Mark
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Welcome from Down Under, Mark! I have a JB also and use it with my 660/12 (amongst others) through a Roland JC-120. Great with a Tele also!

What colour is your 660/12?
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
12_strings

Post by 12_strings »

Hello Howard and thank you. It is a Fireglo with some nice birdseye. I always wished Rickenbacker would put the 660 neck and trapeze tailpiece on a 360 or 370 to get the warmth of a semi-hollow. I can get the Byrds sound though with the JangleBox and my Carvin. I will have to try it with my Strat and Tele, maybe even the jazz box.

Mark
Don Miller
Veteran RRF member

Post by Don Miller »

I just got one this past Tuesday...my local Music store (Mammoth Music in Anchorage) has four for sale..well three now. I was in there and played a Gretsch 6120 thru one..then the manager of the store played a 360-12v64 through it...and wow!!!... we were using some little $100 Fender solid state amp. I mulled it over..with that jangling ric in my head...and Tueday I brought it home. I used for the first time at band rehersal Tuesday night..playing my Nashville West B Bender telecaster type guitar...single coils with the Red Rhodes boost on the bridge....and it really made the NW ring and chime. When Im not yanking on the bender, I usually play rhythm, and often use first position cowboy chords. It really made the chords ring, with a definition that was wonderful..and I just opened the box, set the gain and attack at 2 oclock like the instructions say, and played...and single note lines just sang..it was really cool playing some of the real slippery b bender licks thru it...sometimes with a bender, the B string can be a little less resonant than the rest....but the JB evens that right out...the JB is definately part of my pedalboard now....

This afternoon was the first chance I had to play my 370-12 thru the Janglebox, and I was equally impressed. Those Byrds riffs sounded dead on...and if anything the articulation actually showed some places where I was being sloppy...and before this the slop was lost in the overall sound..but not with the Janglebox. One of my projects and been to try and learn some fiddle tunes on the Ric and I can see the JB is gonna be a big part of that.
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

Hi Don!

I preached a little gospel about the Janglebox a while back on Mur's forum but got mud thrown back at me. LOL
Don Miller
Veteran RRF member

Post by Don Miller »

I normally am not a fan of compression on anything other than a Ric 12. I really dont like the squashed tele sound alot of hot Country guys use. What sold me was the guy playing the Ric 12 thru it..I was lucky too, with a chance to try and lisren up close before I buy...and I had a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket too..the stuff with the Nashville West was a happy accident..and the sound was decidely un-Clarence...but then Im no Clarence.
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

Welcome Mark. To you and everyone else, many thanks for the kind words regarding JangleBox. I wish we could make them faster.

Our site needs updating, but FYI, the most recent JB endorsers include Les Fradkin; Henry Kaiser; Brad Fernquist and Johnny Rzeznik from the Goo Goo Dolls; Elliott Easton of the Cars; and one of my all-time favorite guitarists: Mike Campbell from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers!
byrddog

Post by byrddog »

I received notice today that my JB is in the mail. Now that wasn't so long compared how long I've been waiting to order one.
I've gone back to the JB site and listened to the song samples performed by those pros..and I wondered if those twelve stings were strung the conventional way (octaves first) or like the Ric 12's with the octaves second. Just curious.
Reality checks in life are like Sound Checks, we need to do them more often.
jaybyrd
Veteran RRF member

Post by jaybyrd »

I've had my JangleBox for a couple of weeks now. It is definitely worth every penny. And, Steve Lasko is great about answering email questions about any of his stuff. He gave me some help when I encountered a little trouble ordering a JangleBox t-shirt, but we worked it out and it got here quickly. He also gave me some great tips on using the JBox, too. I can't believe the difference it has made in my playing. Talk about boosting my confidence! I have a new 381/12v69 on the way from Chris at Pick of the Ricks and I am planning some serious playing time. Long live the Jangle!
Nothing compares to the sound of a Rick 12 with a JangleBox and a touch of chorus.

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”