I need a new fan for my SVT

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Lost Coyotes
Intermediate Member

Post by Lost Coyotes »

Thanks, Bob.
I had that feelin', so that's how I installed it, but I felt the need to ask just to be sure.
It is a noisy one, though. I'd like to replace it with something quieter. But it's a '72-73 era, and the only changed parts are tubes and caps.
"Why didn't I just learn how to cook"
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

The Rotron fans that I posted some sources and part numbers for in April are not expensive at all and best of all they have the same hole pattern too, so you can swap out the old fan for a quieter one and still be able to return the head to bone stock later with the original 72-73 fan if you want Image)

I also add a second fan at the opposite end of the head, blowing air back out of the enclosure, and I use an adapter plate to bolt through the existing small holes in the screen. Also reversible later - since they are all 1969 bluelines with the 6146 plate-cap tubes, I did not want to cut mounting-screw holes in the original screen.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
Lost Coyotes
Intermediate Member

Post by Lost Coyotes »

I need one of your early 8x10 cabs!
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

For an early SVT you need two! Image

BTW, thanks for the emails, I am working on an answer on the most taxing of them, gotta call a friend tomorrow about it first Image Image
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
Lost Coyotes
Intermediate Member

Post by Lost Coyotes »

"For an early SVT you need two!"

Well, OK..twist my arm...

No, I realize that they were a set of two, but I'd be happy with one. The later cab I got just doesn't do it. For ME. YMMV. etc etc.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

I'll be a fan of your SVT, Charly..... how do I sign up? Image
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Since the early cabinets had those alnico CTS speakers with the lower wattage, I would think you would need two cabinets for any SVT to get enough power handling? Ted Weber has a clone of those CTS speakers out now and I'd love to build myself a pair of those cabinets for them, but no money at the moment.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”