I need a new fan for my SVT

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

charlyg

I need a new fan for my SVT

Post by charlyg »

I have searched high and low, bought one from Fry's that is awful, and can't seem to find one. I will Google 115v fans in general, but if they are like the one I got at Fry's, no thanks!
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

I use the old Rotron Whisper fan for absolute quiet in a five-inch form factor. Rotron also made a Muffin fan in the same form factor that was more noisy, but still quiet enough for a performing environment. The Whisper had low enough dBAs that you could not hear it at all in a quiet room, but it moved less air.

My SVTs have Rotron Muffin fans on them, and they are just fine. They also put out enough CFM (110 CFM at 38 to 43 dBa) to keep it cool enough.

There must be a modern Comair Rotron square-frame Muffin fan out there with a similar spec for dBa noise level. That is what you buy to, the dBa spec and the CFM spec. Get a low enough dBa rating for a high enough CFM, and you are golden (use two instead of one at lower RPMs, works great). But it is a tradeoff, and do not get a computer-type fan - they are smaller and noisier.

Here is a link to a seller that I have bought from in the past, they will sell you good fans:

http://www.blowerwheel.com/fans-cooling-electronics-framed-square.htm
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
rictified

Post by rictified »

Elys, do you have the old Rotrons with the little plug in the middle that screwed out so you could oil them? Those fans were great, very quiet as long as you kept them well oiled, much quieter than the later ones. My first head had one of those, it was a 1970 I think, a blueline that was not silk screened, had a etched plate on top of a blue piece of plastic, was very pretty and would never wear off like the later blue lines did.
jnbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by jnbass »

I'm a big fan of SVT's!
Buy it before someone else does
rictified

Post by rictified »

har de har har! (I'm a big fan of Jackie Gleason)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I have one of those Rotrons, works great and is nice and quiet. I use it free standing for anything I need to cool off, like my SWR BB II during a long gig.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Charly, check Action Electronics' fans:

http://www.action-electronics.com/fans.htm?zoom_highlight=fan

Scroll down that page to the AC listings. There might be one that will suit your application (plus, Action is in Orange County, does mail orders, etc.).
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

cool ,thanks Gary, I'll click on it now. See ya in a minute or two, or five, or..........
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

They have one that is 115 cfm and 44db for 17.50, that is not far off from Elys's recommendation of 110 cfm at 38-43 db. they have a 105 cfm that is 42 db. Is 10 cfm worth 2db?
jnbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by jnbass »

for how much dinero?
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

$16 and change for the 105 and $17 and change for the 115
jnbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by jnbass »

quieter is better...10CFM for a buck?

Do it!

IMHO
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I got a Rotron Whisper for my SVT. I haven't put it in yet, but it was around $30 from Allied Electronics. Its pretty quiet (40db I think) and has good cfm numbers too. The original one in there sounds like a jet engine spooling up. Just make sure it is an AC fan and not a DC fan, and that it is for 100/115v and not 220/240!
Lost Coyotes
Intermediate Member

Post by Lost Coyotes »

After taking mine out for cleaning one time, I forgot how it goes...does it blow air into the head, or suck the air out?

(I know, I know)

"Why didn't I just learn how to cook"
rictified

Post by rictified »

blows air in onto the power transformer.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”