Father and Son gig

Let Us Know About Your Performances Past, Present and Future
marc61

Re: Father and Son gig

Post by marc61 »

Thanks for moving the thread here. I never noticed this section before.
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

wayang wrote:
People who aren't heartbroken don't make very good songwriters, it's true...they frequently don't even make very good people.
Dane, that is one of the funniest and truest things I've read in a long time.... I think I'll be quoting you on that one in the future, LOL! :lol:

And congrats, Marc, on the gig--what a cool thing, for a father and son to play together! :D
marc61

Post by marc61 »

I was trying to think about famous fathers(r mothers) and sons(or daughters), and if that ever happened...

Bob and Jacob Dylan?
Julian and John Lennon?
Billy Ray and Miley? :lol:
1a12

Post by 1a12 »

I sometimes moonlight in a Monkees cover band. About 2 years ago my son hopped on the skins and pounded out "Love is only sleeping" at 8 years old. The members were blown away! It was a magic moment for me, to see him hitting that ride cymbal as that drop D riff was moving along!
He has also played with most of The Feelies at a rehearsal, playing their "Higher Ground" on guitar.
He taught me "Walk Dont Run" just the other day! :mrgreen: It is so much fun. It is my dream to do the entire Rutles record with him!!!
I'm very proud of him. I never forced anything on him. There is just stuff laying around and he picks it up. I think there is something to that. He sees me trying to figure out things...the way I approach it all. Sheet, if I was a blacksmith, he'd prolly be swingin hammers I'm sure.
I never keep stuff in cases, and he knows he has to be careful...especially handling the 4005!!! 8)
marc61

Post by marc61 »

I kind of do the same thing...leave instruments all over the place. His favorites are the Danelectro doubleneck, my rick bass, a gold SG guitar and the piano. I would still say his "main" instrument is the drums. Currently we have a punk rock band with a former guitarist of the Flesheaters. It's a little embarassing as he's not only doing drum parts, he's taught himself many of the bass and guitar riffs as well...I guess to keep us on our toes :lol:

PS - Adam, back in late 70's early 80's I was part of a trio called The Cyclones in Hoboken. We weren't as popular or influential as the Feelies, but I guess you could say we were from the same "scene".
1a12

Post by 1a12 »

Marc, Im sure the gig will be a blast!! Hoping you'll record it. Get some mics on that boy!

As far as the songwriting bit goes...
People who aren't heartbroken don't make very good songwriters, it's true...they frequently don't even make very good people.
+1 on that.
I'm sure if left to his own devices with moving his heart around, someone will stomp on it. It happens to most of us, and I do think everyone here on the forum who writes their own tunes has a hit in them somewhere, especially with that Rick sound!! and that goes for offspring just from osmosis!! :lol:
I'll have to ask about the Cyclones, and wow, the Flesheaters there's a name I've not heard in quite a few years! Weird, we just picked up a Dano Doublenecker too!

here's the kid laying down his part for a version of "Please Please Me". We tried to cop that new live big floor tom Macca version, almost, but not quite! :? But it was fun! figured its' good to record things as much as possible with him too! :mrgreen:

PS Winona, Eddie VH are two off the top of me head!! uh oh, Harry Chapin moment comin on!! duck!! :lol:
Attachments
hofner icon!
hofner icon!
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Off to the show. I'll try and give a report tonight or tomorrow.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Great show. Very brief set up time, but we got it off...lol..guitarist was tuning as they opened the curtain...

Anyway, the club promoters approached us after the show and asked if we could come back in two weeks to be one of the opening bands for Missing Persons(80's band - featured Dale Bozio, and Terry Bozio(of Frank Zappa fame) - hit song was "Walking in LA"). Kid's pretty excited about it.

Very proud of this kid..kept a cool head, played through mistakes with a smile.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Good news, Marc. I'd be pretty excited too. How cool for you guys! 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

That is so cool, Marc.

JimK
gregga41
RRF Consultant

Post by gregga41 »

Bet you're 'proud as punch' Marc. I'd love to see some photos if there are any. :D
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Congrats Marc & Evan! :D
marc61

Post by marc61 »

No pics this time :(

Hopefully for the next show...

Just for accuracies sake, Missing Persons is Dale Bozzio and backing musicians...no more Terry Bozzio and Warren Cuccurillo.

Return to “My Gig Forum”