Father and Son gig

Let Us Know About Your Performances Past, Present and Future
marc61

Father and Son gig

Post by marc61 »

Got the first gig with the kid..rock n roll baby! two days shy of his 12th birthday my boy will be drumming and singing us through 20 minutes of heart pumpin' punk rock!
Attachments
Fools On Sunday correct crop.jpg
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Re: Father and Son gig

Post by kenposurf »

Nice...family is where it's at :D :D :D
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Rock on! 8)
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

Way cool!

My 17 year old has, all of a sudden, got interested in the bass I bought him a couple of years ago.

I knew he was serious this time, when he came asking about software to tab out the bass line for "Tom Sawyer".

Little stinker's going to keep me on my toes, I can see - and I love it :)
incubus2432

Post by incubus2432 »

Neat-o Marc!
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Break a leg!
Ka is a wheel.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

It'll be fun. I just hope the band finds a real bass player soon..lmao
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Way to go Marc. Have fun you guys.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Cool, get some video! :D
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
wayang

Post by wayang »

Hey, Marc...what a cool scene to be playing with the young lad! It seems to me that this next crop of young players coming up is going to give us all something to be proud of, for lots of reasons. Access to better gear from the start, for one...and access to all the incredible recordings, performances and teaching tools the web has to offer, for another...but the biggest single reason has to be support from their elders. No one's telling them not to be musicians...and what could be more supportive than dad going out there with him to play? Congratulations, and have a great time...

A good friend of mine who's a jazz drummer here plays lots of gigs with an incredible pianist from Uzbekistan named Vlad. She told me she went to hear him play recently, and he had brought along his seven-year-old son to the gig. At some point, he brings the kid up on stage, parks him behind the drum kit, and proceeds to play Ornette Coleman's "Humpty Dumpty". That's not the easiest of tunes, with the alternating 8- and 10-bar phrases, but she said the kid sailed right through it and never dropped a beat. I woulda dropped my jaw on the floor...

At our recent gamelan gig, I had the amazing experience of sitting in the kantilan row next to our teacher's nine-year-old boy, and he nailed all his parts.

Bring it, chillun...we expect (and need) great things from ya...
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Cool Marc! But isn't it scary how good some young players are? Music education has improved immeasurably since many of us were kids, and it shows. A local family has five kids who are all proficient on at least one instrument, the elder two to a professional degree, and they have very eclectic musical tastes, delving into everything from folk to acid jazz (with some hard rock thrown in for good measure). It's a long way from my teenage punk memories.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Yes, I see a lot of young players with tremendous chops. Hopefully they'll create some great tunes with them.

I've discussed songwriting with my kid. But, since he's not heartbroken,on drugs or starving..where's the inspiration? :lol:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

marc61 wrote:Yes, I see a lot of young players with tremendous chops. Hopefully they'll create some great tunes with them.

I've discussed songwriting with my kid. But, since he's not heartbroken,on drugs or starving..where's the inspiration? :lol:
Not so long ago "love" of people and all things in life used to inspire writers..........sad but true. :wink:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

winston wrote:
marc61 wrote:Yes, I see a lot of young players with tremendous chops. Hopefully they'll create some great tunes with them.

Not so long ago "love" of people and all things in life used to inspire writers..........sad but true. :wink:
Even longer ago the foibles and general silliness of folks in general used to inspire song writers.

JimK
wayang

Post by wayang »

marc61 wrote:But, since he's not heartbroken,on drugs or starving..
Not on drugs? At his age, that's a good thing. Not starving? Something to be thankful for...

Not heartbroken? All he's got to do is read...or watch the six o'clock news...don't worry, he'll get there...

People who aren't heartbroken don't make very good songwriters, it's true...they frequently don't even make very good people.
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...

Return to “My Gig Forum”